1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ram is up

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sjacobson, Dec 6, 2009.

1. sjacobson

sjacobson Junior Member

my plow that i just put on when i turn on joy stick switch it just raises up is there a way to lower this manually and any ideas on what is wrong the plow works on other truck so it has to be something else the control wire's were cut but i think i have them to schematics any ideas?
    Also will the Solenoid have power when joy stick is in the on position thank scott :realmad:

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Thats hard to read and make sense of!

Think what your talking about though is if you turn your controller on the plow goes up? Is this without asking for any functions from the controller or did you ask for a different function and it went up?

And no, there will not be any power to the sokenoid by just having the controller on, have to ask for a angle function or raise function.

3. sjacobson

sjacobson Junior Member

the Solenoid has power as soon as it is turned on not sure why.
    But is there a way to to drop the ram manually

4. Crash935

Yup, get it wired right and put the controller in float. You said the wires to the controller were cut? If they were cut at the plug for the controller and yuou matched color for color then you probably have it wired wrong wich is probably the cuase of the riase and power to the solenoid with the controller on. Give us more info of what you have going on and what you did to try and correct problems youstarted with.

5. sjacobson

sjacobson Junior Member

put wires as follows

white to red
    black/orange to brown
    red to white
    blue to blue
    green to green
    brown/red to black
    also added ground to brown orange to Solenoid and when this is done
    it has power all the time
    the truck is 1996 chevy k1500

6. Crash935

Has power all the time? Do you have power stuck on at the brown red wire at the solenoid?

Stuck switch in the controller. Since the plow went up, its probably the up switch. Try banging the controller around on your hand to see if the switch comes unstuck.

What pump do you have to help get it in the down position?

7. sjacobson

sjacobson Junior Member

thanks for talking me down i was ready to jump! it was a stuck micro switch the up position........now i only need to fix the lights only have running lights have any more imput on that thanks scott

8. Crash935

What year, make, and headlights on truck? What are they doing or not doing?

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Did you also add that ground wire to the neg battery terminal???

If you did, need to remove it from the neg side of the battery. I did the same thing and lost the plow lights.. I removed the wire from the neg post on the battery and my lights came back on. It sound so weird I call up a western dealer and he told me, some vehicle need it and some don't........

10. Crash935

He will need it, has a later revision harness and the org/blk jumper from the solenoid to ground only effects the controller not the lights. Hopefully hes has the ground on the org/blk side and not the brn/red side.

11. sjacobson

sjacobson Junior Member

the ground is on the org/blk side the plow is workig good now except for i only have running lights on the plow and the truck light work even when plow is hooked up...

12. sjacobson

sjacobson Junior Member

the truck is 96 siverado with unimont

13. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Sorry crash..

14. dealswithidiots

dealswithidiots Junior Member

day time running lights get funny sometimes your sure you actually have they headlight switch turned on i have worked on a truck that did pretty much the same thing think it was a 97 chevy c3500 that when headlights not turned on the plow had marker lights on only and drl lights were on on the truck itself iirc

15. sjacobson

sjacobson Junior Member

there is one other thing the dtl dont work must have been disconected thay never worked