1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ram drops REAL hard

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by AbsoluteH&L, Jan 15, 2010.

1. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

OK I have searched like crazy! When I hit float to drop the plow I would need a pry bar to get the ram down. If the plow is on as soon as the plow touches the ground the ram stops, It doesn't even unload the suspension. It is like the seals on the lift ram are to tight. What is the problem here, is it an issue with the valve. I will add this pump lifts and turns GREAT! it is faster than the pump I have on there now, but it hardly allows any ground pressure and the plow wont scrap for crap.

2. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

3. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

I'll place a bet on a bent lift ram

TOM

4. Bashby

Bashby Senior Member

That would do it, I've never heard of that one, is it common? What would bend it?

5. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

I can't count the # of bent lift rams I have replaced , it really dosen't take all that much bend to cause a bind condition , if you can imagine the brass piston and piston follower at the base of the lift ram only need to be tweeked a bit to bind up.

Easiest way to diagnose is to remove the plow , raise the lift ram , remove the A cartridge and try to put the lift ram down (fluid will make a mess here ) t should go down easy , if not it's probably bent.

Bent lift rams can be caused by an improperly mounted pump , like an E-60 that the cylinder tank contacts the lift frame, having the plow bouncing up and down going down the highway , stacking snow and letting the plow slam back after backing out of the pile , etc, etc....

I would encourage the O/P to check the drop adjustment and A cartridge for contamination first as it may be a simple fix.

TOM

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  6. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Sorry, I left out some details. This is an E 47 pump not E 60. I knew that the E 60's could be adjusted, but I have found nothing on E47's. I would take a guess it may be tweaked, I say this since it has a hi-lift ram in a normal pump. Guess I need to look for a deal on a new ram, one the right length.