1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram 4500 setup recomendatons

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Fatcat, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Fatcat

Fatcat Junior Member

I posted this message a while ago on the Boss fourm and received some good info. I wanted to post it here on the Fisher forum for more info. Since the nearest dealers to me are Fisher and almost everyone has a Fisher here in New Hampshire, Fisher might be the way to go

Hello;
    I am beginning my research for a snow plow setup for my 2008 Ram 4500 truck (7K lbs front axle). This will basically be for next winter (2011/2012). I need recommendations for what is appropriate for my truck and my applicaton.

The truck: 2008 Ram 4500 4X4 diesel 6-speed manual with 11' dump.
    Usage: Approx 12-15 driveways (1 being 1200' long others in the 90 - 120' range). Eventually moving on to bigger and better with experience down the road.

I am looking at at straight blade (but would consider a V if it makes sense) for the truck since I believe the less moving parts, the less to go wrong.

My questions: Would a 9' blade be appropriate or a 10' blade?
    Would Timbrens be necessary or a nice option on the front?
    Trip edge or full trip (most driveways I would do are gravel).

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

2. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I'd go with a 9ft x blade or a 9'6 Extreme V in stainless. You can use shoes to help you out on gravel.

3. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

That's a lot of truck for a V plow but if you are careful and don't beat on it it will hold up. I'd go with the 10' MC if I were you. It was made for the larger trucks........
    Seems like a lot of truck for relatively small driveways, hope you have enough room to maneuver that beast!

4. Fatcat

Fatcat Junior Member

A fellow BOD member at my gun club runs a good size landscaping business and runs only Fisher plows in the winter (fleet of about 10 trucks). I asked him about the X Blade plows and he said he had one for one of his trucks for a while and went back to the HD. The X Blade plows he said replacing cutting edges were a pain in the backside compared to the HD's and the X Blade did no better than the HD's and were more money.

What are your experiences with the X Blade type plows? How was the maintenance costs compared to other older plows you have had in the past?

RacingZR's recommendation of a 10' MC might be an option. That plow looks quite beefy and I believe my truck could handle it no problem. Maybe install a pare of Timbrens would be needed. The MC's construction looks simple and the 8" reversable center punch cutting edge is a nice idea.

5. gtmustang00

gtmustang00 Senior Member
    from Berlin

I personally have plowed with 8 and 9 ft steel fishers and currently have a 9ft stainless x blade. It scrapes so much better than a steel blade, and looks better, doesn't rust. I will never go back to a steel blade. I changed out the original 1/2 inch cutting edge with a 5/8's. Maintenance is the same as a straight blade. I want to upgrade to a 9'6 stainless extreme v. Around here i see them mounted on 250's, 2500's all the way up to 550's and 5500's. You could also go with a Fisher xls expandable plow although i have no experience with them.

6. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I have almost the same size truck as the OP. I have a 9' blade on mine and I would say if your going to be doing alot of driveways stick with the 9'. especially if your going to be in tight spots, even the 9' plow is hard to maneuver. think about how much extra length it puts onto an already long truck. if you where only doing commercial lots then a 10' would be perfect. I plow some decent size lots with my 9' and it makes pretty short work of it. i like my western but i think those X Blades are awsome, never used one though. just my .02.

7. STIHL GUY

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

i would deffinitly reccomend a trip edge over a full trip plow. and with a truck like that i do not think you will need timbrens. you could always add them down the road if you wanted though

8. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

I would consider a Blizzard 8611

9. Fatcat

Fatcat Junior Member

Thank you V_Scapes. Yes our trucks prety similar. A 9' was what I was leaning towards. Someone suggested the 10' MC but I believe that would be just too much of a bear to manuver in a driveway.

How is the weight of the plow on the front end of your truck? Was the installation of the subframe on your truck a smoth operation? Or did the installer have to do some prefabing on the Dodge?

10. Fatcat

Fatcat Junior Member

Raconteur, I have read that the Blizzard plow are quite heavy compared to other brands, and especially the 8611.

The Blizzard dealers around NH are quite few and far between.

Have you found your Blizzard plow to be quite dependable? What are the high maintenance points of that plow?

The reason I am looking at Fisher is that there is one dealer just 8 miles down the road from me and another about 20 miles. Both are big dealers and sell/service big and small operations as well as individules. Both have been in business for some 25+ years.

11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Stick with a Fisher, your dealers are all over in New england area. If it were me I wouldnt even think, Id put a 9-6 XV on that truck for these reasons, in deep snow you dont have to worry, when travel (between jobs) you save fuel, more efficient, etc. Once you have had a V plow, you dont go back to straight blades from my experience. Personally we run all 4 EZ-V, & XV-blade, all 8-6, we run all Chevy trucks. The largest is a 3500 Ex cab with a 9ft flat bed, we run a 8-6 on it because the Chevys sit so low, it does have a hard time covering tire track when turning. . The X blades do go thhrough edges faster, but they scrape much better as well, we run winter xtendors on all our ez-v blades, I didnt get a chance to order them for the X before it went into service.

12. blmc5150

blmc5150 Member

Fisher XLS. I've got one on a Chevy 3500HD Dually. Nice to expand out to 10' to clear the width of the rear duals. Nice to scoop your piles at the end. Trip edge is a huge bonus on gravel drives, I've got 5 gravels I plow and works great!

13. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I didnt install the plow on my truck it came with it when i bought it used. i think my pro plus is around 740lbs so its pretty heavy on the front end but it holds it fairly well. the only problem with the ultra mounts is the recievers on the truck hang low so i tend to scrape them on the ground at weird angles but you shouldnt have that issue.

14. LON

LON Senior Member

One that we just finished

DSC02555.jpg

15. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

We run a XLS on our 5500 without issues....plow could be bigger for sure but it does the job fine :)
    4.5 yard salter

Ram 5500 4.5 yard salter.jpg

16. Fatcat

Fatcat Junior Member

Thanks for the input. I did get a price from my closest Fisher dealer on a Stainless Steel 9.6' XV at $5,995 and $5,395 for the regular steel (installed).

At this time, I am planning for a purchase this summer so I have time to save up some $$$ (along with the Fed. tax refund) and do this right.

17. Fatcat

Fatcat Junior Member

How is/are your XLS plows holding up?

The Fisher dealer near me told me that he had installed a few XLS plows in the past few years, but will not offer them any more saying that all his customers with the XLS plows had big problems with them. The wings kept breaking and malfunctioning and the edges on the wings wore away extreamly fast.

18. blmc5150

blmc5150 Member

The wing edges do wear a lttle quicker than steel but a year on them so far and they still scrape alright. I love this plow though, a winter on it and no problems so far. Love straights, hate vee's, love having the expanding wings on a straight. JMO

19. Raconteur

Raconteur Senior Member
    from MA

Having a dealer nearby is important . Mine is 2.5 miles away . Go with the Fisher XLS.

20. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Get the fisher xls. I love mine and will be buying more in the future. This plow is the most productive plow you can buy straight from the factory (besides the blizzard 8611lp, which I am hoping fisher will build one comparable to it in the future). It out performs a v plow all day long as I know since I run both types of plows and the ability to go from a large lot to a narrow drive way for bank drive threw is great. I upgraded my wing edges to jerres polar edges with curb guards and they may cost a pretty penny, they hardly have any wear on them after this season and we are over are average this year. and if you are going to buy it online got to 4qte.com as they usually have the best price for them and install it yourself. You will know everything there is about the plow and if something goes wrong out in the field you will be better able to fix the problem. But if you have a good dealer then stick with them. Our dealer support is not the best here in cleveland so I did it all myself. Good luck with your purchase.