1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram 3500 With A Hemi

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by DeereFarmer, Jan 5, 2011.

1. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'm looking for a truck with a crew cab now. I found a very clean 2003 Ram 3500 crew cab dually with a Hemi in it. I'm worried about the Hemi being way underpowered for this truck. I need to tow around a 9000 lb (probably less, but lets say 9000 to be safe). Will this get the job done? I want a diesel, but would settle for a gasser. The truck has 175K on it, but a brand new tranny and engine were intalled 80K ago. Guy is asking $11,500 for it. I'm up in the air about the whole thing. Steer me in the right direction guys!:drinkup:

2. snowsniper1

snowsniper1 Senior Member

my brother inlaw is ent doctor and a few mobile testing units,were they do hearing test and such at factorys.his 2 fith wheel units are both ram 3500 quad cab with hemi's and he love them one has over 250k as of new years when i was talking to him.trailers run around 12,000lbs

3. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Ive got a hemi in my 07 mason dump. The hemis pack alot of power, especially if you compare them to the 5.4 tritons. That might be pretty heavy tow for a gas motor but I wouldnt put it past the hemi. I was pushing some pretty deep piles with my truck this past storm and the hemi had more than enough balls to handle it. i have a 04 1500 hemi and there is a slight change between 05 and 06 hemis. the 06 and later motors are a bit smoother it seems but still have the same amount of power.

4. DeereFarmer

Thanks for the advice. I'm still up in the air about it. I know my buddy has towed a 12K 5th wheel with his 2500 regular cab with a Hemi in it, but my trailer is a bumper pull. Like I said, it'll be more like 6K tops, but I don't want to under estimate the weight and then run into an issue.

5. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Diesel is for sure the better towing motor but the HEMI will do just fine.

6. DeereFarmer

Yeah my last three trucks have all been diesels and I love them. I'm just not wanting to pay the insane prices people want for a beat up old rusted out diesel. I'm looking for a very particular truck and its hard to find a used one with everything that I need.

7. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I really doubt it will be a problem. Only thing to remember is its a HEMI, and it likes to rev to make the most power. So when a Cummin's is putting along up a hill at 1800-2000RPM just using boost, then HEMI is best spinning 4500-5000RPM's to get you the most power.

The up and downside is the tranny. Plus - The Auto Tranny has proven to be very very reliable. You will only find problems on the interent forums when guys have modded the HEMI to over 400 HP to the wheels. The 2nd Prime gear is the weakest and first to let go when modded. The downside- The gear spacing on the tranny. Its a glorified 3speed with 2 overdrives. The first gear is very short followed by a long 2nd and longer 3rd. Its not bad towing normally, but if you're in a very hilly area (like me) it gets annoying- You'll be reving at 4,000 RPM in the power band and then it upshifts and you are down at 2500RPM bogging, so it downshifts again and again and again....

8. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

The Hemi will have plenty of snort, it's just a thirsty ******* when put in a truck, especially one heavy enough to keep it working. I would gander that you'd be lucky to get at best 9-10 mpg w/o a trailer.

9. DeereFarmer

Thanks for the info, I was hoping you would chime in plowguy43. You know your Dodges. I would never mod this truck other than maybe exhaust and a toolbox. I am in a very hilly area where I tow, so that is a downside.

10. DeereFarmer

I weas hoping to pull 12 MPG. I realize this will be a fuel pig and don't expect it to be anything more than that. I am alos looking at a mint Chevy 2500HD Duramax, but its $7000 more. I'm not sure I want to spend that much for just a tow rig, but it does have only 85K miles and never worked a day in its life. Life's decisions...

11. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

What's the rush? Keep your eyes peeled for a CTD and drink the Cummins Kool-Aid. (It taste good)

12. plowguy43

Show me a 3/4 or 1 Ton Gasser that gets better MPG's with the same power as the HEMI and I'll show you the easter bunny LOL. Honestly, I've spent plenty of time in all 3 brands and can honeslty tell you they all get the same mileage. The HEMI has more power than the others except for the V10 Ford (This includes the new Gas offerings- Ford 6.2, etc).

Thanks I appreciate it. I've grown up around Dodge Trucks, owned 5 of them, and am kinda obsessed with trucks in general (thankfully I got a job with a fleet company overseeing repairs and management of them). The HEMI loves gear, I wish I had 4.56's or higher in my truck. The overdrive is high enough that with 4.10's and my 285's at 70mph I'm just under 2000RPM. Gear's really help the HEMI when put in these trucks.

Personally I'd spend the extra $$$ and get the duramax. It has less mileage, will get better MPG's while towing, do it easier, and will have a higher resale when your done with it.

13. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

I'm with you brother! :drinkup::drinkup:

14. plowguy43

Thanks, I keep him locked up in the basement for times like these.

15. DeereFarmer

I've got to start towing in the spring, so I want to get something now and start working the bugs out of it a little. I don't want to fully set up my F350 to tow and then sell it a month later, plus I don't want to be towing with a 6" lift and 37" tires.

16. DeereFarmer

I'm like you, I have had almost every heavy dut truck they make. They all have pros and cons. I've had two F350s with the 7.3L, a F350 with the 6.0L, a F250 with the V10, a gas GMC 2500HD, and the list just goes on. None of them get great mileage no matter what! Its pretty sad when I'm happy with 15 MPG with my F350.

17. Milwaukee

Milwaukee 2000 Club Member

How you explain on this one 01 F250 reg cab with 5.4L 200K miles. Have ability to get 16 mpg cruise on 80- 93 mph due limiter speed. It have 3.73 Rpm were around 3k.

Just get diesel for tow rig.

18. plowguy43

That's nice- unloaded (no ballast or plow) my HEMI gets 16 driving in my hilly area. Granted most roads are 50mph roads but its pretty consistant at 16mpg. This is also with 33" tires.

Please post your bias elsewhere.

19. RacingZR

RacingZR Senior Member
    from Maine

Holy cow, really??? I only get 12 with mine and that's with 3.73's :laughing:

20. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Here is my thoughts... Why a dually??? They are more expensive to run.... Have an extra set of tires, more weight, less aerodynamic the list goes on.... Just to pull a 6000lb trailer !!!

The million dollar questions are??
    How many miles do you drive in a year ?

What percentage towing will the truck be doing???

Any distance less than 30 000 miles or less than 30% towing then the Hemi is the power plant for you. Many will argue these facts but experience will pervail. It comes down to dollars and cents.

I love the looks of the Dodge duallys and the sound of the Cummins engine. But why get them just for these reasons. It is way smarter to get the vehicle that fits your budget and work habits. Allways think about 2-3 years in the future too. I have seen way too many perople get a new 1500 series truck for work to find they need to trade it in a few years later because they out grew the truck.

I think a 2500 series gasser would be a perfect fit.