1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram 3500 GVAWR Question

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by CTD4ME, Dec 30, 2008.

1. CTD4ME

CTD4ME Junior Member

I have an 06 Dodge Ram Automatic 3500 DRW CTD Laramie, crew cab, 8ft box with 5200lb front axle rating (12,200 overall). I put my truck on the scale today and found that my Front axle weighs in at 4600lbs with a ss brush guard that i could remove and gain maybe another 75lbs. Which means approx. 650 lbs to work with b4 I am overloaded on the front axle. there is not a plow i can find that will keep me under my rating and yet wide enough to justify putting on the truck. Local Western / Fisher dealer will not hang anything causing me to go over for their own liability sakes. Does anyone out there go over their front axle ratings and if so, have there been any casualties? I have already replaced Ball joints and front Axle drive u-joint when its only been a highway puller so i am not too worried about those items, but i am concerned about broken hubs /axles. AM I FINISHED?

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

No you are not finished. I have a 9'2" V plow on mine and it handles it fine. You just have to find someone who will install it for you.

3. CTD4ME

CTD4ME Junior Member

what type v plow are u running on your ram? I was considering either a V or the new fisher XLS or western wide out

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

You say you have 650# to work with but even if the plow is only 650# it puts more like 2000# on the axle

5. CTD4ME

CTD4ME Junior Member

i guess I'm not taking into consideration leverage, but does the plow dealer when they do the math? i guess if i put it on the scale the scale will read the true weight only, yet the axle may be under some additional stresses while the plow is banging up and down as i travel down the road. II just don't know where u draw the line but i hear what your saying.

6. JDiepstra

It's a Boss

7. JDiepstra

I am pretty sure the axle is not the weak point in this equation. It is usually the rims or tires that reach maximum capacity long before a solid front axle. My tires are good for 3195 lbs each so that gives me 6390 on the front as far as I am concerned. Who cares what Dodge says, they are idiots, as evidenced by the crap they throw around a Cummins and call it a truck.

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Consider this. They also expect your crew cab to be filled with people for some freakin reason. Put a crap load of ballast behind the rear axle and go.

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

the axle would be the last thing I worry anout also

I was say saying it puts more weight on the axle than the actual weight of the plow so IMO you dont need to be concerned about the weight down the the exact pound