1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram 2500 front drive shaft questions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dave_dj1, Feb 1, 2015.

1. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I have a 2010 2500, the front shaft double joint went out so I went to rebuild it, I can not find u joints that are the right length. Has anyone run into this?
    It calls for a 231 Moog or 331 Moog or same number in precision and a couple more brands. The problem is they measure 3 5/8" across and there is only 3 17/32 in the yokes between the clip slots.
    I read somewhere and can't seem to find it now but there may be a Dodge size?
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    dave

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Do you have a driveshaft shop to drop it off at. Sometimes much cheaper then trying to do it yourself.

3. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

I believe they are still the same as in 2005, and I don't remember what ones I ended up with, but trust me, find a new complete shaft on Amazon or rock auto. It'll be properly balanced and hassle free. Might cost you an extra $100 over buying the parts, but well worth it. I rebuilt an 05 myself, and bought shafts for an 04 and 07 after that. Not worth the hassle.

4. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

I had to get it together for this storm, I will order up a new one if I feel any vibes, so far so good though.

5. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

Sweet, you must have found the right ones then. I seem to remember that was one of the hassles I ran into when I rebuilt mine.

6. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Replacements are out there, the biggest thing is not to let them go too long worn and clanking. The centring pin will break off and you will need to buy a new drive shaft because the replacement parts and labour turn out to be more expensive than a new one.

7. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Do not buy a reman shaft from chain parts stores. Either buy new from a dealer ( I use wholesale Mopar .com) or have it rebuilt at a competent driveshaft shop. Over the counter Remans are notorious for coming apart and destroying transfer cases. They hand you another junk reman and you are on the hook for the transfer case.

8. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Good info, thanks :mechanic: