1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram 2500 and Western wiring

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snerdy, Aug 16, 2013.

1. snerdy

snerdy Member

I am putting my pro plow on my recently purchased Ram 2500. The battery is on the left and really leaves no room for the 50 extra feet of wiring you get with the control harness. Does anyone have a suggestion for a neat wiring hook up?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

You need to pull the headlights to hook the system up. While the lights are out of the fender roll up the extra cable, use nylone ties to secure it and then stuff it in behind, then put the light back in. Just make sure you locate the fuses in such a way that you can acces them without needing to pull the light again.

3. snerdy

snerdy Member

Thanks

thanks, why do they give you so much wire?

4. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Sometimes the isolation module has to be mounted on the right front corner so they need enough cable to go the long way around from there to the firewall behind the steering wheel and then under the dash to the centre of the console. I often wonder why they don't give us just a bit more so we don't need to drill a hole through the firewall over the bell housing, as we sometimes do. You can always bundle up extra wire but you can't lengthen them, at least not easily. People often use the same plow and wiring over three or four trucks. If you do move it to something else and you need that length you will be greatfull. It really depends on where and how many batteries the truck has mounted. Western has made the harnesses universally long enough to fit even the worst possible situation on typical pickups. There are even longer cables that you can get for special applications like cab overs where the battery box is mounted way back behind the cab on the frame.