1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram 2500 2002 4x4 cab and a half

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by JEFF P, Jul 5, 2006.

1. JEFF P

JEFF P Junior Member

Hello to all out there !

Well I need some honest input . I have always been a chev guy . I am looking into a new snow plow truck and it happens to be a 2002 dodge ram 2500 with 80,000 km on it . Just wondering if its a good snow removal truck and what or the known problems with it along with should there be any upgrades before putting a plow on it ? Be honest I've never owned a dodge truck. The closet I've gotten is a 2006 Jeep Librety with 1,500 km on it and my wife drive that . Thanks to all
  2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I own a 2000, 3500 Dually with the Cummins. The front ends are weak. I have replace 2 of the main track bars already and I have 208,000 km. on it. The engine is great and I have had no tranny problems. I spend $1300 on the front end this spring and to get it any better I need a new steering box. Last week I just bought a 2004 Chev, CC, D/A. The best truck I ever owned was a 1994 3500 SRW. 6 years of hard plowing and a total of $2500 in repairs. Sold it for $17500 and only paid 27300 new. The Dodge plowed extremely well and never got stuck. I actually still have it and may keep it for this winter, I am just not happy with the front ends.

You will need to put Timbrens in the front to help but they are only $200 installed.

Is this a gas or diesel truck?
  3. R&R Repair

R&R Repair Junior Member

I have an 02 2500 cab and a half. Plows excellent. I have a 8 ft Fisher HD MM on it the stock springs held it fine with the plow prep package but I upgraded to 1 ton springs. Track arm an some tranny problems but I can't really complain about how it handles to snow
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

you said to be honest, so i will. the best plow truck i ever driven is the ford f550. 6000 lb front axle, dual batteries, dual alt.,flat bed (better backing into snow banks vs a pickup box), 4x4, and short wheel base. in service since 2000 and have never replaced anything on it.(except batteries)
  5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Diesels add mucho lbs to the front axle weight, They (diesels) hold up longer but will eat front ends faster. I always opt for gas drive, But I only use the truck for plowing, demoing equipment, and occasional truck type duties, I cann't justify the cost of a diesel, I don't put enough miles on it. my Dodges have always held up well, although they do seem to like track arms, and you must come to a complete stop before changing directions or the tranny goes on vacation.
  6. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Can't go wrong witha 2002 2500.....I LOVE MINE! and i have a 8.5 Fisher V plow!
  7. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

ALL autos need to come to a complete stop before changing from D to R, especially newer models.

Dodges do tend to eat track bars, factory replacement is a bad choice on the earlier ones but the 02's have a new design that should not wear out as fast if at all. If you have plow prep you don;t need timbrins, if you don;t then I would concur.

Diesel is heavier but a much better choice for plowing and towing- much more torque at lower rpm, better milage while pushing, pushes heavier loads.

If you don't abuse the truck and follow maintenance it will hold up better than many people claim. I have exceeded the milages and times on all major "problems" caused by working these trucks, usually by significant amounts.