1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram 1500 with Meyer light problems

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jeffl, Nov 27, 2012.

1. jeffl

jeffl Junior Member

Hey Guys,
    Been a while since I have been here. Thougtht I would post this to see if others have had this problem. Its really starting to aggravate me.
    I have had my plow on my 01 Ram 1500 Quad Cab for about 6 years now. It is the STL 7.5 Meyers with E60 pump. Night Saber lights.
    So, I had a local place where I bought it that does hundreds of these plow installs put my plow on. Everything was fine for about 2 years or so and then one day I went out and nothing worked on the plow that had to do with the lights. I found out that both of the Meyer Relays they put on the fender well had burnt up. It also screwed the lights up on my truck. Made the drivers sided headlight real dim on low beam with other side working fine and then both high and low beam went on when on High beam with other side working fine. That was on my truck lights.
    So, I had to take it to the dealer and they fixed my truck lights. They said it was the plow lights that screwed them up so it was left disconnected. I ran the next year with no plow lights which really sucked. I had to angle my plow to one side or the other to get 1 of my truck lights to light up the road.
    So, the next year, which was last year, I decided to take it to another place, have all new wiring put in with new relays so everything would be working again. Again, everything was fine for almost the whole year when it happened again. The relays again burnt up and screwed up my lights on the truck.
    Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and what they did about it.
    Thanks

2. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

You definitely have a bad ground somewhere or have the wiring crossed somehow. Id go through wire by wire with a test light to figure it out.

3. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Which model Meyer plow, EZ, EZ plus, etc? Could you have a lot of corrosion on the ground side requiring excessive amperage needs to the lights? perhaps a poor or missing ground? Do you have the unit serviced regularly? It doesn't seem like a dealer issue as the unit functions for a while and the failure has repeated itself after a different dealer preformed the same install.

4. jeffl

jeffl Junior Member

Mine is just the EZ classic mount. No, I do not service it regularly like I should. But I also do not see any corrosion. And what I did see, I cut off the ends, cleaned and put new terminals on. I am sure it is not a dealer issue but especially the second time, I was only a year and it went again. How could it corrode that fast? I guess I will end up just buying all new and doing it again but have to take my truck and get the truck lights fixed first.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The new modules have replaceable fuses in them. Have you check to see which yours are? Could be they just have blown the fuses:confused:

6. jeffl

jeffl Junior Member

Sorry I never got back to you Basher. I have done nothing with it. But I am feeling inspired to do it so think I might go take a look at it. No, I have not checked that. I had no idea the new ones had replaceable fuses. That will be the first thing I check. If that is not it, then I would search out the grounds. It very well may be that they are not getting a good ground. Thanks for the info.