1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram 1500 squealing noise...

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by P_Lo, Feb 14, 2007.

1. I have a squealing noise on my 1999 Ram 1500 pick up when the voltage drops and/or there is a load on the battery (i.e when the fan motor is on high or when I am plowing snow...). When the volt meter shows the battery to be fully charges ther is no squeal at all. I changed the alternator thinking it was a charging problem but it dod not help. Any thoughts?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you change the belt too? Also, check the belt tensioner, if the tensioner is defective it won't keep the belt tight enough under a load and can cause it to slip.
  3. yzf1000_rider

yzf1000_rider Senior Member

exactly what b&b said i have a 99 1500 that also did that changed tensioner and problem solved.
  4. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

I to had the same problem this year. I replaced the tensioner and it solved all my problems. Right about 60 bucks at autozone.