1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

RAM 1500 Sport model questions

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Jetdrivr, Dec 3, 2006.

1. Jetdrivr

Jetdrivr Junior Member

I'm in the process of setting up a plow rig to do some light duty plowing (couple commercial lots I own as well as a driveway or two ... nothing for-hire). I just bought a 99 RAM 1500 4x4 Sport that has had a modest lift kit installed. I've narrowed my search down to possibly a Western plow and I'm told that a 7 1/2 mid-weight poly would be the way to go.

A couple questions I have ... I am told that because this truck is the "Sport" model, they have to cut into the front bumper for the installation. Does this render the front bumper a mess or is it not too noticable?

Also, does this sound like an adequate setup for some light duty plowing? The truck itself is in great condition (one owner) and goes through snow very well, but I'd prefer to find out sooner rather than later that I should have done things differently.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

You have to cut the front air dam not the bumper. The air dam is painted on your truck. You just have to notch out 2 three inch pieces. So it will not look that bad. I would get a set of Timbrens for the front end just to be sure. As for a half ton to do comercial plowing I am sure most people will tell you no it's not a good ides. But we all have to start somewhere. So go for it.
  3. Jetdrivr

Jetdrivr Junior Member

Thanks for the info. I don't have any intention of doing any for-hire plowing with this rig -- just a couple driveways and a parking lot, all of which I own. I see a lot of 1500's with plows so I'm hoping that a 1500 will be adequate for this kind of work. I just happened to fall into this 1500 Sport completely by accident and at a great price so I decided I would put a plow on it. I was concerned about the front bumper notching because I didn't want to destroy the appearance of the front bumper cover. Hopefully it will still look reasonable when they are done with the install.

Regarding the Timbrens, as I understand it (and correct me if I'm wrong), they are to help prevent front end sag when the plow is attached, no? This truck has been modified with a slight body lift (perhaps 3") so I am hoping that front end sag will not be too much of an issue. Do you think the Timbrens would still be needed on a truck with a slight body lift?
  4. mopar250

mopar250 Junior Member

if your truck already has a body lift on it, I would guess that it should not need anything else. as long as the tires clear I think you'll be fine.
  5. Jetdrivr

Jetdrivr Junior Member

Well, I dropped the truck off today to have the plow installed. I decided to go with a Western 7 1/2' midweight poly plow with the handheld CabCommand controls. $3900 installed which seemed like a decent deal although I would have much rather found a clean used plow to hang on this truck. I hate paying as much for the plow as I did for the truck. :realmad: They tell me I'll have it back in a couple of days and then we'll hope for some snow to try it out.
  6. ramit

ramit Junior Member

If your truck is a 99 sport they should not have to cut the bottom. The only reason they say that is they want i think it was 9 or 10 inches from the ground to the centre hole on the plow bracket.I have a 99 2500 sport and i put the plow on myself and i did not cut the bumper. I have a 2 inch lift in mine so it was fine. If yours is lifted they should not cut it.
  7. Jetdrivr

Jetdrivr Junior Member

Finally picked up my truck the other day. Indeed, they did have to notch the front bumper to accomodate the installation but it's not too cosmetically objectionable.

Of course, Murphy's Law is in full force now ... New plow attached ... not a flake of snow on the horizon. :confused:

Thanks again for all of your helpful information.

I'll post a couple pictures when I get a chance.
  8. Mow It All

Mow It All Member

Im confused, i have a 99 dodge Ram 1500 sport and they didnt cut a single thing. the removed the bottom plastic peice thats on the bumper......can you post pictures??
  9. Jetdrivr

Jetdrivr Junior Member

Sorry for the delay in taking a couple pictures. Here's a shot of the new installation, patiently sitting outside the shop waiting for some snow to arrive...

And here's a closeup of what the notch looks like. There is one just like it on the other side too. No big deal since I bought this truck for the sole purpose of hanging a plow on it, but of course, my preference would have been not to cut into the bumper cover. Cest la vie...

10. Proscapez LLC

Proscapez LLC Senior Member

Thats a nice looking plow and truck.
    It should treat you fine for what your using it for and a lot more.
  11. Jetdrivr

Jetdrivr Junior Member

Thank you. I'm hoping it will do alright. I just happened to stumble onto this truck and got a really great deal on it. Funny story, but my painter was bidding a job to paint the exterior of a house and the owner offered him the truck as full payment for the house job. He accepted the deal, took the truck and drove it down to my shop (I own a car dealership) and asked me if I was interested in buying it. The price was right so I wrote him a check. It's a one owner 99 Sport 4x4 model, spotlessly clean, matching Leer top and LineX spray on bedliner. I had my mechanics in my shop give it a once over and they agreed that it was next thing to new. I couldn't pass it up. All I plan on plowing is a couple residential driveways that I own as well as the parking lot at my business. It's already up for sale on Autotrader and if the right buyer comes along, I'll part with it and get me another one, but for now, this one has managed to keep every last flake of snow at least 500 miles from Chicago. :)
  12. BigDave12768

They would not have cut your bumper if you put a Fisher on it.
  13. Jetdrivr

Jetdrivr Junior Member

I tell ya, I thought long and hard about a Fisher as the dealer who installed this plow also sold Fishers and was going to give me a steal of a deal on one as he is currently trying to liquidate his supply of Fisher since he is dropping the brand. In the end, the Western won out since around here anyway (midwest), Western is supported by just about every plow dealer there is. Fisher seems to be more focused on the northest market.

The other thing that was a real selling point for me was the Poly plow option. I didn't want to spend $4,000 on a new plow only to have it rust in a year or two. The Western poly will never rust. To my knowledge, Fisher does not offer a non-steel plow.
  14. BigDave12768

The stainless one's dont rust
  15. Proscapez LLC

I have never had a western, that is a real shame what they did to your bumper.
    I have had 2 meyers plows and used a boss.
    But since I got my Hiniker there is no way I would buy any other brand.
    Putting it on and taking it off is so fast and easy, trully it can be done in under 30 seconds without trying and losing the lift chain is awesome.(the plow just doesnt bounce)
    I can carry my plow 4 inch's off the ground and not worry about it, until I pull into a drive with an incline.
  16. BigDave12768

Why would you want to carry your plow 4 inches off the ground? If you hit a dip the road your plow will hit the pavement and possible break your cutting edge
  17. Jetdrivr

Jetdrivr Junior Member

Thanks for the concern. I am not that upset over the notches in the bumper cover. This truck was purchased for the sole reason to push snow. Beyond that, it will just sit or be sold. It is not my daily driver or anything.

Regarding the Fisher plow versus Western plow ... Indeed, Fisher was on my short list, as was Boss. In the end, I crossed off Fisher because the local Fisher distributor was dropping the brand and I wanted to be sure to have excellent service and support available. I also had read some concerns about the trip edge feature of the Fishers and how it compares with the fully tripping blade of other brands. I aso liked the Ultra Mount feature of the Western plow. These days, all the plows are a simple on/off operation, but I was particularly pleased with the ease of installing/removing the Western unit. I can have the plow installed or removed in an honest 30 seconds which is a lot better than the last plow I had.

I also wanted a plow that didn't rust. The stainless plows, in my opinion, are too heavy for installation on a 1500. The 7'6" is darn near 750#, almost 200# more than the Western poly.

I could have gotten a steal of a deal on the Fisher unit, but having a local dealer nearby was a huge asset for me.

I really wanted to take a look at the Hiniker plows, but the closest dealer was almost 100 miles away. For the price, the Hiniker seemed to be one heck of a bang for the buck.

In the end, no matter which plow you have, they all push snow ...
  18. Proscapez LLC

Keep the blade as low as possiable to keep the air flowing to cooling your truck.

If a dip in the road breaks your cutting edge, then you should sell your snowbear and buy a real plow. lol

The trip edges are suppose to be better, then the full trip blades.
    But I have no experiance with them yet.
    I'm kind of old school, I guess thats why I dont have a v-blade either.
    Less parts means less things to break. LOL

You'll still get rust, but your right you wont have to repaint the blade.
    It use to be the poly's weight more then the steel blades.
    and dealer support is very important, when your in need.

I still think you got a great set-up!
    Who ever buys it will be pleased, for sure.
  19. BigDave12768

Comments like this show how little you know about plowing. The higher you keep your plow the better air flow you will get. And it happened on my Fisher. I hit a good size rut and the truck bounce and the cutting edge caught a cap and broke in 2 as it flew off the truck. What do you think the airdam under the bumper does???
  20. diehrd

diehrd Senior Member
    from NY

I disagree,Although i keep my blade at mid height there is no doubt fully in the up posistion my truck runs a lot warmer....