1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ram 1500 plowing questions

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ALEX516, May 24, 2003.

1. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

ram 1500 plowing questions

I'm picking up a 1995 Ram 1500 4x4 v8, 5.9 with 8' bed, standard cab, with tow prep pkg., which has a transmission cooler, not sure what else comes with that option,,,,,,and wanted to know what my best option would be for a plow setup, what should I stay away from plow size wise? and should I upgrade springs or something like that?

I've plowed a lot before with other's trucks, but I'm picking this truck up primarily for landscaping use, but want to be able to offer snow removal this coming winter if we get any snow, and I'll be helping a friend do his 12 accounts, mostly small-medium commercial parking lots, with a few private driveways, and 2 large commercial parking lots.

Any advice on the plow equipment, plow size, and any suggested or required modifications to my truck?

Anyone use a 1500 for plowing? I know a 2500 would be more suitable for the job, but it's not an option at this point unless we get 24 storms this winter.....

What about ballast in the rear bed, Suggestions on how much, and what to use for it?

I've always been in a six wheeler or a full size blazer and neither had ballast when I used them.

Sorry for the many questions, but I see everyone here's pretty much pros or advanced novices...
    Thanks for your time!

Feel free to email me directly with replies, to:

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

:) First let me welcome you to this site. It looks like your first post. I use an F150 and have no problems. You need a 7&1/2' plow for a 1/2 ton. You should upgrade the springs to at least HD for your truck. Look for TRW or McQuay-Norris With an "S" after the part number. I could help you with the part number after I'm back to work Tuesday. Good luck and feel free to contact me if you need assistance!
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Welcome to Plowsite :waving:

The Ram 1500 isn't a bad plow truck at all,especially with it's solid front axle.There are better options instead of replacing front springs,like Timbren load boosters.If you do want to replace springs,there are lots available.You will need to get the spring codes off the front springs to find out what you have in there now.

A 7.5 or 8 ft would be fine on that truck.Fisher,Western,etc all make good plows,just find something you like and can get good dealer support for at 3 am during a snowstorm.Another option is a Snoway.They are lighter than most plows,which may allow you to go a bit wider with the blade.They also have downpressure,which is a rear handy feature for backdragging and scraping.

Ballast should be used to help pull weight off the front axle and to balance out the truck.It will also help rear wheel traction.3-400 lbs is probably sufficient,but you will have to find what works for your setup.Bags of sand are probably best,as they tend to stay put better,and can be used for traction if neccesary.Build a frame to hold the ballast stationary between the wheelwells.

Another option for ballast is to use a small tailgate salter.It will have the same effect and hopefully make you some money in the process :D
  4. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

A 7.5 Fisher will be nice on your truck and you could always install the plow 1st then ride around with it to see how the springs handle the weight before changing anything. Use ballast like mentioned as far back as possible and secure it.
    One thing to at least check out as I don't know if it apllys to your truck, but some of the Dodge 4X4's had a problem with the spring towers cracking. Maybe someone here knows or ask a local dealer about the TSB.
  5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I've used a '90 Dodge 150 with just over 100,000 miles as my main plow vehicle for the last 3 seasons. 7 1/2' Fisher straight blade. 4x4, 318, auto transmission, DANA 40 front end and no ballast or Timbrens. It's done a very good job for me. No complaints. I have always been careful to completely shift R-D or D-R. I'll probably use it more as a backup next winter, though.
  6. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

We're using a 97 Dodge 1500 quad,auto,shortbed with a Meyer 7.5 Poly. I was worried prior to installation how the front end would handle the weight. To my suprise, it only dropped down 1.75 inches with plow raised! Truck and plow work great. We throw a ton or so of salt in the back and a small tailgate spreader on. No problems. Load boosters are the way to go in my opionion if you need them. Good luck.
  7. AtlasFBG2

AtlasFBG2 Member
    from Ohio

I have a 98 1500 regular cab short bed that i will be puting a 7 1/2 ft Snowway plow on this winter.
  8. szorno

szorno Senior Member

Hi Alex,
    The 1500 will be a good plow truck as long as you use a 7.5 ft name brand plow and maintain it really well. Good habits behind the wheel like stopping completely before hitting R will help. I have had 3 ramchargers, and a 150 pickup. All bone stock to start. Moved a lot of snow over 15 years. The only thing you might look at is the Timbren load boosters or, I like the Airlift airbags. Timbrens you either have to remove each spring or it compromises your off-road ability. (big issue in Colorado) Airlift airbags you just deflate to a minimum pressure. They don't affect your articulation. Good luck and post some digi- pics when you get the rig up.
  9. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

My friend has a 1999 Dodge ram 1500. he has a 7 1/2 foot snowway snowplow on it and the truck handles the plow no problem. I would say 7 1/2 to 8ft would fit your truck. i would recommend snoway or meyer for your truck because both snowplows are very relieable and not as heavy as some of the other brands. ;)
  10. Angelo

Angelo Junior Member

I have a 98 1500 long bed with the 7 1/2' snoway. I never took the highway tires off so if I didn't have a 600lb balast in the back it was a little slick. The only thing I wish was that the plow was a little heavier, the down pressure helps but it did skate over some spots that it should have gotten. Overall the snoway held up well and so did the truck. No timbrens/no beefed up springs.