1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram 1500 axle question

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by tmoney63, Jan 2, 2009.

1. tmoney63

tmoney63 Junior Member

Hi Guys,

New to the site and love it. Tons of great info on here.

I'm not to mechanically inclined in terms of cars and trucks so I had a front axle question. I have a 1997 Dodge Ram 1500 Ext cab wit the 5.2 liter V8. I looked at my trucks info and the truck has a Dana 44 front axle with a GAWR of 3850. Does anyone know how much weight is on there now stock without the plow and my fat can in it? I want to put a 7'6" plow on my truck and don't want a light duty in case I pick up a 2500 later. I was thinking timbrens front and back with ballast.

All responses welcome. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2009
  2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Timbrens don't add any strength to the axle- they allow the truck to ride level with the plow on- the Dana 44 is too weak for a non LD plow unless you don't mind repairing it. Besides, when you upgrade to a 2500 series, you'll want to get the 8 foot blade for it anyway- a full size truck needs 8 feet to clear the wheels at full angle- the 1500s get shorter blades to reduce weight.

3. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Plenty of 1500 Dodges have the 7.6 HD plow on them.

4. tmoney63

tmoney63 Junior Member

Any one here running a curtis sno-pro 3000 on a 94-01 ram 1500? This is the unit, I'm picking up.

5. wildbl1500

wildbl1500 Senior Member

I ran a 7'6" RD Fisher on my old '97 Ram 1500 ClubCab (w/ 5.9L)- never had an issue. She handled it well, just needed ballast.

6. ryandann

ryandann Junior Member

Tmoney63, did you end up getting this plow? Do you know if they had to cut the bumper on the sport models to mount it?

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Usually there isn't much of a weight difference between a 7.5' to an 8'er. A Hiniker is 11lbsdifferent. An 8' is 614 the 8.5' is only 649lbs.

8. QKSnowRemoval

QKSnowRemoval Senior Member

well u are kinda in the same boat as me, and my dodge, but think of this if u got a 7'6 is would always sell and you can upgrade later or just buy wings with it. Im looking at the boss or a fisher Hd myself