1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ram 1500 axle problems

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by cclandscape 28, Dec 24, 2009.

1. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

Hey guys i have a 1996 ram 1500 4wd 8 foot bed ext cab with a fisher 7.5 half minute mount on it The truck has 173 k on it the truck has been used just for residental driveways andd the past 2 seasons it keeps breaking the axles The suspension on the truck is stock Is there anything i could do to help this problem I just broke another axle from our storm we had last sunday. The truck plows about 30 residentals and my dad plows for me soo i knw he is not hammering on the truck. Anybody else have the same problems ? Could you use 2500 suspension and maybe Help these axles
  2. snow jockey

snow jockey Junior Member

Was it the axle joints (u-joint) or axle shaft? If it keeps popping the joint, then it probably is the wheel bearing, a little play will put excessive force and movement on the joint. I had that prob with my 95.
  3. mnglocker

mnglocker Senior Member

<--- Just blew his appart tonight. I'm replacing the bearing at the same time. Next week I'll be sticking in new axel shafts. Mine got FUBARed .
  4. cclandscape 28

cclandscape 28 Member
    from CT

Guys i have to replace the axle seals and bearings on the shaft side. Have any of you guys done this and is it tough job ?
  5. branr1

branr1 Member

I've replaced the Unit Bearings on a few Dodge trucks it's not a hard job. Put the truck up on Jack Stands and remove the tires the night before and spay down all the bolts with some liquid wrench.
    As far as the axle shafts go are you breaking the Shafts or the U-joints? In my experience the U-joints usually spit one of the bearing caps and then they break the yokes on the axle shafts. If your truck has just started to break shafts or U-joints I'd guess the Yoke's are stretched out and the Bearing caps are working loose. A quick solution to this is to Tack Weld the U-joint Bearing Caps to the Axle shaft yokes to prevent them from sliding out. I've done this to mine and its made the current set of Axle Shaft U-joint last for a few years now. In order to remove the U-joints I'll have the grind the Small welds off each cap but thats not to bad considering how much longer they lasted. Also I'd suggest running Spicer U-joints there what the OEM used.
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  6. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

When are they breaking? While at a full turn or just going straight ahead? If you are turning sharp on a pavement driveway in 4x4 it will bind up and can break.