1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Raising the plow when broke?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Dakota2004, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

OK, I have a question for you BOSS guys, I want to know what do you do if the plow wont raise back up seeing that its the hydraulic how do u raise it back, theres no chain to lift does it stay locked down?

Also I want to know if and one has used the new 7 ' 6 sport duty, is it good, and how is it wiht back blading, being poly, does it supply enough down pressure to scrape or does it lift alot.
  2. troy28282

troy28282 Senior Member

Theres a simple way to get a broken Boss into the up postion. Drive in to a pile and ratchet strap the blade up to the light tower.
  3. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

plow down

make sure the plow controller is in the float position with the key on, use a ratchet strap between the light cross bar and the a frame boss makes one just for this use.:salute:
  4. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

It's really no diffrent than having a problem with a Wester, fisher, ect. Except you have to use a strap to hold it up.
  5. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

sounds like common sense, and I wonder if this also from past experiences. From the other posts Ive been reading through this sectioin, I am wondering if I should revise my decision on buying the boss for next years winter!!!
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

In 8yrs I have never had to chain up my Boss.
    I don't see this to be a problem.
    You would raise it the same way you would any other plow with a jack, ratchet strap, come-a-long, or run it up a pile. etc,etc.

Why is this such a big concern?
    You would have the same problem with any plow that you buy.

Poly plows weight more than steel plows
    so it would be heaver thus putting more weight on the edge.
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2007
  7. Allamand

Allamand Junior Member

I can't answer the back dragging issue with a Sport 7'6", but i can with a Sport 7'
    I find that with a large amount of snow, say over 6-8" it will not stay down and tends to ride up on top of the snow.

As far as Poly's weighing more, I sure hope not, cause then my F150 is in trouble:)
    Though true, the other standard poly's weigh more, but not the Sport line.
  8. Dakota2004

Dakota2004 Senior Member

Thanks aot for everyones input, I still want the BOSS, the issue with raising the plow is just a question of curiosity, because boss doesnt have the chain.
  9. SpruceLandscape

SpruceLandscape Senior Member

SnoFarmer, I think this is such a big concern with non-boss owners just because there are certain companies (fisher for one) that use nonsense comparisons like that in their ad campaigns trying to make a case for sticking with chains.
  10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

:rolleyes: Your probable right, it's just marketing hype by the competition.
  11. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

get er up

any plow can have problems,if you let them, don't worry about not getting it up, just take precautions , a strap .question what do you do with a broken lift chain? (carry a spare) if you do not take reasonable precautions you toss the dice!
  12. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Ding, ding, ding. I believe we have a winner.