1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Raising the plow height?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by plowin-fire, Nov 20, 2011.

1. plowin-fire

plowin-fire Senior Member

Read a old thread about adding a 1/2" piece of steel to the power hitch latch to raise the plow up a few inches... I just set a square in there to see if it worked and sure enough I gained almost 3 inches. The thread I saw, they welded pads to the arm itself. Would the concept be the same if I welded the 1/2" plate to the bottom of the push tube?

Any other thoughts on this or modifications in addition to this I need to do?

2. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

The best place for the plate is to weld it to the back of the push beam on the truck mount itself.

3. plowin-fire

How would placing on the back of the tube affect the height though? Makes more sense to put it on the bottom... I'll try it and find out I guess.

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

B/c the back is the distance the claw/cyl would have to extend or retract. They cyl is horizontal......if it were verticle, then the bottom would make sense. Trust me, I've tried it all ;)

5. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Yup exactly what he said ! I did it to a well used 810 last winter. It was sloppy in all the joints on the power hitch. The shim got it to lift higher than when it was new !

, shaun

6. plowin-fire

Hey that makes more sense. Will switch it and see what happens.

7. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

We have a piece of 1/4" angle welded on one of our push beams. It does lift a bit higher. How thick of material are others using?

8. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

ha ha yeah Shaun that plow is well used for sure. I still have to fix that pin yet too. Just have to find the time. To answer your question though a half inch of plate makes the blade raise up almost to the top of the plow lights. I can stack some snow now for sure and when the a frame pin is replaced and rebuilt the plow will be well above the lights I would assume. Would most likely have to take one plate out.

9. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Just to refresh this a bit..............I recently set up another one of my trucks. I used a piece of 5/8 plate b/c it was laying around. I welded it to the back of the push beam and gained 2" of lift overall. Cutting edge height went from 9.5" to 11.5"

10. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Also check your push beam. The bolts will loosen and allow the beam to rotate down. Ours kept loosening on our 8611 , so we tack welded the push beam and side plates.

11. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Ya we had to do that last season after a big blizzard (no pun intended)

12. firelwn82

firelwn82 PlowSite.com Addict

I just put to nuts onto the bolts. Basically a jam nut type of thing. I dont have access to a welder though.

13. plowin-fire

Tried the plate behind the push tube instead of underneath it and It didnt raise it up as much?

14. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Underneith it doesn't raise it safely , it just lessens the grip your plow will have on the push beam. How thick of a shim did you use ? Are all of the latch pins blown out? Really it should raise it I don't see how it wouldn't. A shim between the claw ( if you will) on th epower hitch and the back of the push beam shortens the throw of the cylinder causeing the plow to lift sooner and further.

, shaun

15. plowin-fire

Latch pins appear to be tight, The only thing that I found worn is the u notches on the push beam itself and the removeable bushings that ride in the notches. Used 1/2" plate.

16. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Also check the draw latch plates holes for wear and the pins on the cylinder ends for wear and bending. Look in your manual diagram and you will know which parts im talking about.

17. EliteSnow&Ice

EliteSnow&Ice Senior Member

I had lost some of my height over the years and welded the shim on, and gained a little bit. I had replaced alot of my pins last year and still wasn't happy with the height. I went trough and checked all my holes, and though alot of them didn't look bad. I decide to weld the all tight and reamed out the holes to make the pins tight. Good as new now. I was surprised how little slop it takes to make it sag.

18. plowin-fire

Might have to take it apart after the season and rebuild it. Should work for the rest of this season.

19. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

just outta wonder as I was rereading this and thinking. how would adding the plate make the plow go any higher. wouldnt it just hit the stops on the truck side mount and not go any more???

20. plowin-fire

Going all the way up, mine doesnt hit the stops.