1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

raised manhole covers what to do

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by devinraptor, Oct 2, 2012.

1. devinraptor

devinraptor Junior Member

I recently picked up a few new communities that don't have the top coat on the roads. So the manhole covers are still a few inches above the first coat. Anyways what's the best way to deal with these. A few local guys said a rubber cutting edge so it glides over. Any suggestions?
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Backdrag over them

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

mark where they are on the side of the road and go around over ect. Don't backdrag the plow won't trip and you will do some serious damage.

Can you get them to ashphalt a ring around them or is their such thing as a rubber ring around them to make them a slope up rather then an abrupt edge
  4. oldmankent

oldmankent PlowSite.com Addict

Slow way down
  5. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

I had a rd I used to plow in to two professional buidings and had the same problem. the first year we got parking cones and shot them down to the rd with a ramset gun. the second year it was still not plowed so we had the paving compnay come in that was going to do final paving and ramp up around them which did help but we still ended up putting parking cones out.
  6. SullivanSeptic

SullivanSeptic PlowSite Veteran

Be careful. You can easily yank them off the manhole. They are only held on with tar and the 2" of binder coat. They will come up easily if you hit them
  7. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I plow roads. I been plowing the same roads for years. Once you hit them good you will always remember where they are at. I just slow down when i come up to them.
  8. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Demand that they temporarily shim up with blacktop to the top of the covers or they will be responsible for any plow/truck damage.Chump change to fix to the alternative.

REAPER 2000 Club Member
    from 60050

Buy and use a trip edge plow.

You can mark them, ramp them up or whatever but guaranteed you will have a hard hit at some point no matter what. A trip edge plow will reduce much of that.
  10. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Or you can take the lid off and pull one of the rings out. Keep the rings at your shop and put them back in the spring. Problem solved.
  11. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Yea fill the holes in with snow so u don't drop ur wheels in them
  12. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

Still sucks with a trip edge plow. the plow will violently jump when the edge trips back. You can also break your cutting edge or break the ring.

My vote is for attaching some cones in the road AND having them put a lip of hot top all around them.
  13. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

drive faster, It will pop right over it that way
  14. tuney443

If the developer only has the binder base coat down,there will be no riser rings,just the frame and a cover.
  15. SullivanSeptic

You have to remove binder coat to take frame off. I wouldn't recommend that. Have owner ramp up with cold patch for now.
  16. tuney443

He was referring to a riser ring[I think] Sullivan,not the frame.
  17. SullivanSeptic

Riser ring is under frame. Need to remove frame which has wide base first. Riser ring is concrete.
  18. bigthom

bigthom Senior Member

easy, tell em to get them paved around them b4 snow flies or u will now plow that part... its amazing how fast the phone picks up for that
  19. tuney443

Sullivan- I'm not referring to the concrete riser ring that sits on top of the MH ,but the steel riser rings that sit inside the frame to adapt to pavement elevation.As you and I have pointed out to the OP, the only correct way to resolve his dilemma is to shim up to the covers with blacktop.
  20. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

Don't know about anyone else, but I make my guys go out and hand dig around obstacles like this, removes any chance of damage to either the manhole or your equipment, and only takes a couple minutes to expose them.