1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

raise speed

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by vmj, Nov 7, 2013.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Just wondering if there is a adjustment on my mm1 to speed up the raise speed of plow..? Thanks

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

No. Nothing like that. If your raise speed is slow you may want to put a gauge on it to see what the psi is. Maybe time for a pump

3. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

mmm I did change motor last year. checked pressure and all was good as far as I know...... Didn't know if one of the valves whould do something....

4. dieselss

There is no adjustment. Only adj is on the pump itself and that increases the overall psi

5. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

so more pressure wouldn't do anything.... LOL

6. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Pressure has nothing to do with speed. Only volume does. The more CC's per revolution(increased volume) of the pump the faster your hydraulics will be. There is a payoff though. The more volume (larger gears in the pump) the more taxing it is on the electrical system (more amp. draw). I have a fenner pump that had a 1.6 CC/rev pump and changed it to a 2.1 CC/rev pump. Albeit it is faster but lifiting the old heavy diamond blade to me it is still slow. I am trying a 2.5 CC/rev. pump this year. I will be putting up a post on this soon. I also have a dual battery set up. Hopefully I should be OK.
    To the OP. Check your filter set up to make sure it is not restricting.

7. dieselss

Well yea. But imo if your increasing the overall psi b/c your raise speed isn't there then you might just need a pump.
    What does your lift ram nut look like? Have you messed with it at all. Is the piston new? Have pits? When you raise it is there like stains or marks on it? Might just need a packing nut adjustment

8. dieselss

Tjs ill argue your point a little. But I will say the raise speed might equate to a bad pump. The angle won't be affected tho as theres no weight

9. Just to be clear,
    What is the model of your hydrauilic unit?

10. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Pressure has no effect on speed. Here is a calculator for speed of a cylinder/piston. Note there is not a pressure value. Google search hydraulic dynamics and you will see what I am talking about. Yes the pump maybe going bad, but it is only 2 small gears meshing together. Unless the clearances are excessive then yes in fact the pump could be no good.
    See the fenner on the left and the Fisher on the right in these pics.
    [​IMG]

http://www.baumhydraulics.com/calculators/cyl_speed.htm

11. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

lift cyclinder in in good shape, no pits, no leaking around top nut.. was replaced once.. i'll have to look at model of pump.... thanks

12. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

cant find any number on pump but its an older MM1 with three wires