1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Raise or angle plow....kills the engine???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by BayviewLawn, Dec 19, 2008.

1. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

Iv got a chevy pu with a convential western plow set up. New motor new pump.

when i raise or angle the blade the amp gauge drops WAY off and the engine stalls from lack of voltage. What would cause that??

2. michdeere

michdeere Member

Have you had your battery checked? I'd start there.

3. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

Batterys are good theres 2 of em and the truck starts up fine

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Check and clean ALL of your connections first.

If that dont do it then, Bad motor on pump.

5. michdeere

michdeere Member

I'd still get the batteries tested. One marginally good battery will start your truck. If one battery went bad over the summer, you're relying on the other to do everything. It could be totally dead and you wouldn't know it until you put a big load (plow motor) on it. As was also posted, check/clean your connections. I don't think it's likely that your brand new pump and motor are bad.

6. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

shouldnt the alternator run the motor nott he batterys?

7. BayviewLawn

BayviewLawn Member

I will check the connections and the batterys though but im just curious about the alternator question

8. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

NO, the alternator charges the batterys.

9. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

i would suspect battery first or bad connection.

10. RingahDing

RingahDing Junior Member

engine kills

Chk wire connection to battery, alternator, and engine block. If good, check tension on alternator belt.

11. diesel dave 04

diesel dave 04 Senior Member

check the Batt. one bad batt. will kill both

12. Morky1

Morky1 Junior Member

I'm looking at the same problem I bought 2 new batteries last December one is bad now but even with one good battery I have huge draw when I move the blade. My motor is 2 years old but I was wondering if maybe my solenoid is bad that would cause the draw just like on a car starter. Has anyone seen this happen.

13. diesel dave 04

One bad batt. will kill both, If you have 2 you need 2 good batt.. My MVP says it wants you to have a 105 amp alt to use the plow. I had a 75 amp so I replaced it with a 130 amp alt. most all plows need a 100 amp alt to keep up along with a good batt. a bad batt. in a system with 2 is like having 2 bad batt.

14. John Chisum

John Chisum Junior Member

My hood hinge grounded on my motor relay causing the same thing just relocated and it stopped.

15. minideezel

minideezel Junior Member

first, the alternator supplies a current to that charges the batteries in addition to running all loads present on the system. A snow plow motor does pull more amps than the alternator can supply so it uses the batteries as a buffer.

In your case i would be willing to bet that the motor was wired incorrectly, the positive (wire from solenoid) is connecting to ground somewhere. It is possible that you got a bad motor and it is grounding its self out somewhere.

So i would check all you connections to the motor and if everything is good, see if u can get a high amp inductive tester to find out the amp draw, it should be from 100-200 amps. If it is more than that and you know the wiring is good i would take the motor off of the pump and try it (w/ the motor still grounded) and see if u still have the same problem.

Also does the plow work at all w/ the engine off?

16. kashman

kashman PlowSite.com Addict

bad ground

17. snowblowertruck

snowblowertruck Member

I've got a friend with an 08 chevy with last years mvp plus and he had the same sort of problem. It turned out to be the ground cable on the engine.

18. Morky1

Morky1 Junior Member

I changed the solenoid and the pump motor plow works better before it could not lift it up. But it still kills the engine when I lift the blade or turn right or left. But with the engine off the blade works the same as with it running. My Alternator tests OK but I almost think there is something wrong with it. If I running the engine at 3000 RPMS it still acts like a kill switch on the engine until I let off on the plow. Any thoughts on this problem my plow has worked great for several years until now.

19. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Somethings wrong with your tester. I sure:rolleyes: it's the alt.

20. diesel dave 04

I hear if you use a batt. with top and side terminals run the plow off the side terminals and the truck off the top this wont happen. But this is just something i heard, I never did it my self.