1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rainstorm pandemonium

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Feb 10, 2009.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

The weather out here is pretty wonky with 2" of rain over the last two days. I've had 1/4" rain before, but this is something new for us in Manitoba. What do you guys recommend for speeding up scraping sidewalks? driveways? parking lots?

We are currently using icemelt and chippers on the sidewalks, but its taking too long. The loader and skidsteers with buckets are the only thing that work on this 1-2" clear ice, but its painfully slow. I've used a whole regular season's worth of icemelt per day for the last two days. Any other suggestions.

2. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Get an ice scrapper attachment for a bobcat. They work great.

3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

How fussy are your sites. Are you allowed to use a sand/salt mix or sand/calcium mix. If the temperature goes down scraping it off is not a option.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Spread salt, spread salt, spread salt plow and repeat

5. augerandblade

These lads down in the States dont like to use sand, is it a common practice in the Peg

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

i second the bobcat super scraper...the best 1100 dollars i ever spent!

run through a couple of passes throw on a bucket and done.

7. augerandblade

tymusicussmileyflagYou might be ok where you live , have ya checked the regular winter temperatures up in Manitoba, it usually freakin cold. I would like some more info about the scraper, maybe post some pics . Thx:salute:

8. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Here is the link to there site:

http://www.bobcat.com/attachments/scraper

getImage.jpg

9. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I realize its warmer here then there....however I have used the scraper down to 0 on ice that was hardpacked for days....

10. cretebaby

No offense to anyone

But I would be embarrassed if any of my lots got bad enough to use that scraper on

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

None taken. We have it because we do a lot of buildings that have 18's going in and out all the time so we are always playinf catch up on the lot. It wirks great for getting "under" the hard pack and cleans nicer thatn our 966. We use the 966 to clean up behind the skid after.

12. cretebaby

Do you pretreat?

13. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

We have tried pretreating with just salt but are looking into a spray system for next year. We are trying to learn as much as we can on here about rates and mixtures and what chemicals work better than others.

14. jd328

jd328 Junior Member

people must be cheap here (Alexandria) i dont know of too many if any lot that would even think of paying for pretreatment. there is only 1 guy in town with the bigger lots wallmart fleet farm menards that salts and thats not too often. when we do have to scrape it sucks that looks like it would work good

15. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

We like to use sand here in the States too, but listening to the customers ***** about sand in the rugs isn't cool. There are certain advantages to living in igloos. As I said before try using the flail type lawn dethachter. Set the blades so they are just touching the concrete. Couple of passes over the ice and if you don't remove it, it is so rough it isn't slippery anymore.

16. augerandblade

17. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

just where is the bathroom in an igloo? Abrasives like sand is an extreme tracking problem and not easily solved by placement alone. Rock salt on an airport runway is another fun time. Also what people in the Midwest call sand is something different than what is found on the coasts of NA

18. cretebaby

Please explain

19. augerandblade

There is no way that sand is gonna stick to the tread of a boot or shoe 50 to 60 feet away from the store entrance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I guess the Midwest sand is more of a soil mix, I was reading another post on another thread that there was a Walmart being "sanded" with some black looking gumbo.

20. cretebaby

The few times we have tried using sand we used washed sand from the redi mix plant

I am quite positive it doesnt have any topsoil or gumbo in it