1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Rain Storm/Ice Storm

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Squires, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Heavy Rain in one area
    Then two hours west it was all freezing rain
  2. Squires

Squires Senior Member

3. Squires

Squires Senior Member

4. Squires

Squires Senior Member

5. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Pictures are to say the least, beautiful. A situation like that, to say the least, scary!
  6. viper881

viper881 Senior Member

Scary looking!
  7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Ice storms like that are just a disaster.
  8. mike6256

mike6256 Senior Member

Wow nice shots, but not good :help:
  9. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

How long did it or will it take to melt all that ice on the power lines and such?
  10. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

Thats crazy
  11. albhb3

albhb3 PlowSite Veteran

no thanks you can keep it
  12. KBTConst

KBTConst Senior Member

How long did it take for the power to get turned back on? Pics are very nice but I would not like to live through it.
  13. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Power was out for 5-6 days depending on the areas, they were lucky it was more or less contained to a few areas ice was approximatly 10cm or around 4in thick on the wires

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Both would suck, not sure which would be worse. I'd take the rain as long as houses didn't flood
  15. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Great pictures,.... I have to say that I have never seen an ice storm like that,... that has never happened in Alaska,... at least not in the area where I live. I'm trying to figure out how that even happens,... why rain turns to ice rather than snow,... there must be some type of extreme and/or very sharp temperature inversion or something. The only thing I've seen that produces an effect like that is to run a boat on the ocean in winter with freezing spray,... where you have 35° water instantly hitting something that is maybe 0°,... it would seem that type of storm would be very devastating to both animal & plant life if it endured very long,.... again,.. great pictures! :waving:
  16. Squires

Squires Senior Member

Same concept i guess, its hard to explain, but really whats happeneing is that the air temp is warmer than the surface temperature, and being so, the water droplets freeze instantly upon contect with surface objects that are below or just at the freezing temp, then it just grows and grows.
    These don't compare to the winderness pics you provide all winter long
  17. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

looks like our ice storm last year! was pretty crazy but i thought it was neat
  18. Cranky

Cranky Junior Member
    from Calgary

Beautiful but deadly. I'd stick to the pictures, even though it's quite stifling hot in here.
  19. The Cow Man

The Cow Man Junior Member

I'm glad i'm not climbing that pole.
  20. ddb maine

ddb maine Senior Member

Someone else from maine can verify it for me but I believe it was the ice storm of 98... It was BAD, I was younger but I remember driving with my father in the truck and when we got to an intersection, there was a 12" diameter icicle coming from the street light down into the middle of the intersection, it was essentially on a column of ice. Scarey thought is that it had to happen fast enough that the ice didn't have the chance to pull the light down Had to look at that for a minute just to wrap my head around it. It was at the intersection down past the marshwood highschool headed into eliot, where the Muddy river smokehouse used to be.
    My area was without power for 10-12 days. People in town had shirts made that said " i survived the ice storm of 98" unfortunately quite a few older people ended up not making it, hypothermia... I will always have a woodstove in the house... and plenty of wood.