1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Railroad snowplow gets stuck!

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by tim975, Feb 5, 2007.

1. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

WOW!!!! That was a buttload of snow!!!!:eek: I have never seen a train with a snowplow, much less getting stuck

3. KINNCO

KINNCO Senior Member

Man what a video. How long was it stuck?

4. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

Dam, and i thought trains were unstoppable .... woahh .. that was cool to watch .. thanks for the video ..... so it took 6 engines to pull it out ehh ??? !! ... not to shabby ...

5. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

Not sure, looks like it took them a while, judging by the daylight. Once these things get stuck, it's like concrete.

6. Embalmer

Embalmer Senior Member

if you keep watching the vids, they eventually get it out using 7 engines, and do continue plowing. I cant fathem the amount of HP that all 7 of those engines were using to power through that.

7. ThisIsMe

ThisIsMe Senior Member
    from Mass

"On-Star, can I help you?"
    "Yaaaaaa, I'm stuck"

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

if you look through that guys other pictures/videos they derailed 2 engines and one of the plows in Kansas on the way. They drove the plow into the ground with so much force they couldn't get it back out, and its there until spring now. They had to rebuild the section of track too.

9. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

That is so cool.

10. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

wow i thought he was gonna make it

11. dodgeguy99

dodgeguy99 Senior Member
    from mn

that is awesome

12. CJSLAWNSERVICE

CJSLAWNSERVICE Senior Member

I'm sure my truck could of pulled them out!!! Well , not really , but awesome links!!!

13. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

what are they gonna do with all that snow after they plow it ? i mean we can use some over here in NJ hehe

never seen a train plowing before thanks for the video

14. 4x4Farmer

4x4Farmer Senior Member

"ah, ya, this is frank to base!, We have a bit of a problem out here on the south line, send in the reinforcements!"

15. Rampart Ranger

Rampart Ranger Senior Member

Gotta find some video of Durango Silverton or Cumbres Toltec. Turn of the century (1800s) steam engines pushing steam powered blowers to clear the line.

Always wanted to take that excursion, but it is booked YEARS in advance.

16. murray83

murray83 Senior Member

9000?,That line up you see there is around 4000HP give or take per unit and I counted 6 locos.

I used to work for the short line here as a kid clean the locos for cash,and thats as bad as I've ever seen one stuck.

17. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Dam lucky she didn't just flop over on her side when they were pushing all that snow.

18. tim975

tim975 Senior Member

Two SD40T-2's + one GP40-2 (3000HP each) = 9000HP shoving the plow.
    one SD45-2 (3600HP) + two GP40-2's pulling the hind two units out of the snow, all on line = 15,600HP combined. The lead unit was so buried it I'm assuming they had to dig it out. I work for a shortline railroad in the Chicago area, we get these kind of units as run through power everyday.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2007
  19. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

always wanted to work with trains....

20. Northland

Northland Senior Member

Ahhhh... I gould pulled them out... Just hook my trusty nylon rope to my good old chebby and give her a good yank and let the rope do the work... :jester: