1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Radio problem ,New Truck/Plow

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bolake, Jan 9, 2015.

1. bolake

bolake Senior Member

2015 GMC Serria 2500 HD , Boss VXT 8'2" truck and plow all new this fall. Second time plowing both time hadn't plowed more that 15 minutes when the radio shuts off screen goes black, when you are powering the remote.Couple seconds after your done powering the remote comes back on. Its intermitant not ever time. Doesn't effect anything else as near as I can tell. Seen a post couple months ago tryed seaching but can't find. Any one had this happen?

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Check what fuse installer taped into for switched power source and how the tapped into it. A fuse tap is best. Make sure bumper connection are tight and clean.

3. skostur79

skostur79 Member
    from ne ohio

sound like voltage is getting low from the plow working , I didn't see any service bulletins yet about that ,

nor have seen any come in the shop yet with that concern yet,

4. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Will do some checking, the radio is the only thing I notice no working. The blower fan is still working.

5. bolake

bolake Senior Member

This a brand new truck and plow 1600 miles on it, also this has happen the first 15 minutes right out of the garage. Plow my own drive and in 30 to 45 minutes it did it once. With no snow up here this winter I've only plowed 2 times and its did it once both times.

6. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Forgot to mention I call tec support at Boss and they have had half dozen or more calls on this problem. Tec said there trying to figure out what would cause it. He did say one guy changed his ground from the battery to the motor and that solved the problem.

7. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Will have to look and see where its tapped into, It is keyed where you have to have key on. Also for the plug connectors, plow works prefect in all functions.

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Don't matter.Ford/Chevy/ Dodge,What is happening the are putting smaller batteries in the tuck and just can;t handle the extra stain on it. Most of the time after the tuck warms up and fluid gets hot things will calm down. Just pick up the biggest battery that will fit.

9. bolake

bolake Senior Member

I could understand that if I had been plowing for awhile, but new truck,battery,plow package,heavy duty altenator the first 15 minutes out of the garage and only the radio doing it, doesn't add up to the above statement.

10. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

How long was that truck sitting before you bought it? Most part stores will test your battery for free. And if it is as small as GV is suggesting :)laughing:) and with all the computer controlled crap in vehicles today it wouldn't take much to drop the voltage below what is needed for those electronics to work properly.

11. bolake

bolake Senior Member

It had just come off the transport truck, new enough when I looked at it the shop hadn't took it out of transport mode. If it was the battery why would every thing else work right heater fan, plow, etc

12. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

My truck used to do the same thing. If it was sitting and cold out your putting a lot of strain on the battery,And new trucks are designed to cut things off if the volts drop below a certain amount. And quit playing with it so much, te plow I mean. I run a battery from napa the one that goes into emergency vehicles,

13. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Grandview is correct as to what the issue is. I've just recently had three of them doing the same thing. We sent two of them back to the dealer to have a second battery installed... problem fixed. Not sure what the third guy did... he was going to address it on his own. Total cost was about $700 at the dealer... 2nd battery, battery hold down, cables, charging/isolation relay, 175 amp maxi fuse, and labor. Sounds pricey, but it fixes the issue, and it's done correctly. If I've said it once, I've said it 1000 times... all plow trucks should have two batteries.

14. bolake

bolake Senior Member

After what you stated and talking to a neighbor with a new truck but different brand plow who said his does the same thing.I have the second battery tray aready in my truck so will look at second battery option or see what size my truck battery is to look at upgrading it . Thanks for the information.

15. bolake

bolake Senior Member

As long as my truck has the second battery carrier in it, is there a reason I can't just install the same size battery and connect - to- and + to+

16. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

We've done plenty of second battery installs on older trucks that way, but on these newer trucks with many highly sensitive electrical components, we've just told guys to have the dealer do it, or get the parts from the dealer and we'll do it. Don't want to be the guy that says it's ok to do it the old school way on some of these newer, expensive trucks. Just my $.02.

17. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Thats probally the best way. Did some more research on so called plow prep package, 220 amp alternator, heavy duty front axle, wired for light on cab top, but didn't mention heavy duty battery (figures) doing some more checking.

18. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Was doing some more research today found out from GM dealer service department and United truck Body out of Duluth MN that also sells/installs Boss and other brand plows that GM isn't the only one with this problem on the newer trucks, Ford and Dodge is have the same troubles. Sounds like there will be some kind of fix, computor reprogram or something to fix the problem coming down the road.

19. ducati7

ducati7 Junior Member
    from nj

This is a problem with certain Ford 2014-2015 and 2015 GM trucks! nothing to do with the battery, I have the same problem with a 2015 chevy 2500hd with western plow. My radio changed channels and goes on/off when i move plow. Both GM and Ford DO NOT have a solution yet about this. Fisher said that running the Heat on a high level or putting more lights on/heated seats, mirrors reduces it happening. They say apply more workload and it reduces it, but I don't like that idea and am waiting to hear back from GM about this. Problems that occur with these newer trucks are radio problems, HVAC problem, and dash going out.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  20. bolake

bolake Senior Member

Did notice yesterday when I turned blower off and had just the radio going, it shut the radio down more offen. So maybe it does help to run accessories, will try it next time I plow. What I was told is they are working on a solution, this information came from a big dealer/ installer of plows not GM, so they must be running into the problem and have contacted Auto companies.