1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Radio interference

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by paynter2, Feb 28, 2006.

1. paynter2

paynter2 Member

I'm getting electrical noise in my radio when the plow motor (Meyers E47) runs. Should I look for a better ground? A secondary ground? Any ideas? Thanks...
  2. bigjoe871

bigjoe871 Senior Member

Does it only happen with the regular radio or when using a cd also?
  3. paynter2

paynter2 Member

This is an old CJ5 with a self-installed AM/FM. I has no CD or cassette - heck, it doesn't even have push buttons. But, reception is clear except when I activate the plow motor.

IIRC, I have the plow motor grounded at the battery.
  4. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

You need a new filter capaciter installed on the motor and radio feed line.
    The radio feed will probabily do it. The filter capacitor is a small chrome metal thing with one wire, they go bad with age (15 to 20 years, sometimes longer) but many old vehicles, such as a CJ5 that didn;t have a factory radio would never have one. Cheap to obtain (auto parts store should have in the "Help!" section) and easy to install.
  5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thats what you need. A noise limiter, some are a capacitor with one wire and a chrome covering. You hook up to the + lead to your radio and mount it on the firewall,(for a ground) some have 2 wires. Both are capacitors and are conected to the power feed for your raido. (Just fallow the instructions)
    As justme said you can find them at any auto parts store or where they sell radios.(stereos) and there very easy to install.
  6. paynter2

paynter2 Member

Thanks for the answers you guys. Isn't the internet great? Just imagine how many people and how much experience are at our fingertips!

Someday I'll post of picutre of my old CJ5. It doesn't look the greatest. But it runs perfect. I need to get the radio fixed to say every single function works as it should.