1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Radio interference on brand new f350

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Hopalong, Dec 21, 2015.

1. Hopalong

Hopalong Junior Member

So I am a mechanic for the local government. I "received" a brand new f350 with a boss 8'2" DXT already installed on the truck when I got it. I picked the truck up from the dealer, drove it to the shop, lifted the plow out of the truck with the fork lift and hooked it up to the truck. Everything went fine and worked perfect. Brought the truck into the shop with the plow on it to do some installs. We add and a marine grade fuse panel under the hood to power the strobe, radio, and what ever other accessories the department that owns the truck want. Also at this time I installed a set of the newSL3 lights. After I hooked the battery back up from doing the above stated work, any time the plow motor runs I would get radio interference through the stereo, ALOT of it. Almost enough to blast you out of the cab. I did some homework and found that there have been a few issues with the new sl3 light kits causing similar issues, so I unplugged the lights. Issue is still there. I disconnected the battery and unplugged everything I previously installed. Still there. I disconnect the 13 wire plug on the bumper, left main power cables hooked up, and use my power probe to activate the main power solenoid under the hood and have a co worker sit in the cab... Still there.. I get in the truck and go to take it on a parts run, change the radio to my favorite FM frequency and the noise goes away!!!!
    So I play with the radio stations while I plow the parking lot at the shop and this is what I got.. Only happens on AM frequency, seems to be the worst on AM590 WHICH happens to be the station the stereo defaults to when your unplug the battery. Which makes sense why I didn't hear it when I first put the plow on truck, because it was tuned to a FM station

Has anyone on here had any experience with an issue like this before? I have a ton of plow trucks I maintain and have never run into this particular issue.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Since someone else posted this, sounds like Boss needs to do a bit more engineering.
  3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

who listens to AM radio any more?

sounds like ford's issue to me.
  4. BOSS_JG

BOSS_JG Senior Member

Hopalong, BOSS Technical Support is reviewing the details of your issue with our Engineering Department. We received your voicemail from Saturday, with your contact information, and we will be contacting you shortly.
  5. coke813

coke813 Member

This is interesting. I will try to give a short explanation, but I'm also interested to find out if Boss can figure anything out.

I am not an RF engineer, but I work for a telecommunications company, and we have ran into radio interference a few times. Basically every electronic device or antenna has a certain frequency to it. now you say it is worst on AM 590; which is 590 MhZ. So something in your electrical system is putting out an electric signal near this frequency which screws up the radio antenna. If you can still receive other AM stations, (and you say the FM dial is fine) I wouldn't worry too much. I know my local AM sports station was AM 620, and that would just turn to static whenever I drove under a high tension power line. But that would only last a few seconds.

It would be difficult to find the source of the interference without some very sophisticated equipment, but I'm sure there's some smart people that could do it, or know what may cause this. All I know is, the AM antenna is usually internal to the radio and it's sensitive, and it could be picking up stray current from anywhere in the electrical system. I look forward to reading more if there are any RF experts out there.
  6. coke813

coke813 Member

Just a follow up- I talked to a work buddy who knows more about electronics. His response was, "sounds like a grounding problem."

So double check all your connections and make sure you're not getting stray voltage through one of your ground wires.
  7. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Grounds are usually to blame but now how important is am????? With the frequency of am it usually has a lot of issues with all the newer systems of a vehicle. If all of the fm is fine id worry about other things... Thats just me
  8. Hopalong

Hopalong Junior Member

Didn't have a chance to put the plow back on the truck today, got busy with a few higher priority items. I will say that I am extremely impressed with boss' customer technical support. They actually called! I don't want that to sound like I have had bad experience with them before. This is my first experience talking with them. It just usually have a very difficult time getting people to call me back because we don't have hardly any local dealers and zero local tech support. The guy that called me was knoweldgable and helpful. We came up with a few things to try. I will keep this thread updated with what I find if I find anything.
  9. Hopalong

Hopalong Junior Member

I also agree Ramitt I believe it is probably a grounding issue. But could also be something simple like the plow harness or power cables being ran to close to something else. Like I said I'll keep this thread posted
  10. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Normally we've found that's a ground not to battery issue. Using the battery as a filter has become very important in today's vehicles.

Volvos were doing that, turned out to be caused by the rear antilock brake system and required a ground strap from the rear axle to frame to eliminate it.