1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

radiators

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by levens, Aug 14, 2003.

1. levens

levens Junior Member

hey guys,well yesterday i blew my radiator in my 78 k10 4x4. so ive been shopping all day but with no luck,so i went to summit and i found that summit makes there own brand of radiators, the only thing is these are racing radiators and i dont know if they will give me the cooling i need for my 400 sb and will i have to modify the transmission cooler line hookups?

thanks

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

try a monte carlo radiator I think that is what I used in my '85 bit it only had a 305 in it just had to modify the mounts but it was cheaper and easier to get.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

If you have a 400, an auto trans, and AC, then you want to get a 4 row radiator. It is the same as big blocks use. Open your cap, look inside, and count the rows of cooling tubes. With a flashlight, you should be able to easily see them.

LMC Truck
    Part# 32-2946 ......... $199.95 ....4 row

1-800-222-5664

LMC lists the 3 row for your truck, but my 77 with 400, AT and AC has a 4 row from the factory, so that is the route I would go, unless you have a 3 row now..... only because the upper mount will not work from a 3 row, on a 4 row. THen again LMC has the upper mount too.

~Chuck

4. wyldman

wyldman Member

Most of the newer radiators with improved fin design will far outcool the older styles.Most of the newer 3 core rads will be more than enough to cool your hot small block.Ask about the fin design before you buy,just to make sure.

5. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

At LMC, the 3 row, and the 4 row are the same price. May as well go for the 4.

~Chuck

6. BWhite

BWhite Senior Member

4 row

I have a hardly used 4 row radiator and a new fan clutch hanging around from my 78 3/4 ton big block surburban surburban . I would sell it to you cheap if there was a decent way to ship it