1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Radiator Leak

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Snoworks, Dec 16, 2002.

1. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Anyone know of a good quick fix for a radiator leak, besides stop leak or similar products. While changing my water pump, i must have grazed the radiator, which is now leaking preaty badly. Looks like a $60 dollar problem turned into a $400.00 problem.

Thought someone might have a miracle cure!

CGB

2. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

can you solder it?

3. paul soccodato

can you solder it?

4. paul soccodato

can you solder it?

5. paul soccodato

sorry about that, i dont know what happend

6. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

radiator repair

You can't solder aluminum radiators. I have had success in the past with repairing aluminum radiators with a special plastic that you melt into the hole in the radiator with a propane torch. A friend that runs a radiator repair shop gave me a piece one time and it seemed to work fine. Don't have any further info on where it is sold, but if you contacted a radiator repair shop, they should be able to tell you.

7. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Is there an echo in here?? :D :waving: Mike

8. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

The leak is in the center of the radiator. Would I have to take the radiator out to fix it. I was hoping I could just take the fan and clutch off to get at it.

A repair shop said they could do it for $40 bucks, but the radiator must come out. I don't want to take a chance of replacing more parts, by doing this, such as trans lines, etc.

CGB

9. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Radiator out

If you've got the right tools ie line wrenches, the tranny and oil cooler lines should come off ok. I think it would be easier removing the radiator than the fan and clutch.

10. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

fastjohnny - Thanks for your reply's. I am kind of hesitant to pull the radiator. With the way my luck is going this year, with truck repairs, I shouldn't even open the hood.

CGB

11. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Get a jug of Barr's Stop Leak. it comes in two sizes, car size and the monster size Truck and Bus size. I used the truck and bus size on a leaking radiator and ran it for years with no other leak problem. You gotta shake the heck out of the jar it comes in though, to keep the sealer stuff fluid as you pour it in.

12. fastjohnny

fastjohnny Senior Member

Bar's Leak

I've used Bar's Leak with good results in the past, often times for a leaky water pump or manifold gasket but for a physical hole in the radiator, I really would repair it in the manner I described. It is not that hard, and is a much more permanent solution. I'd put money on it that it would be an hour repair job max, take it out, repair it and re-install it. (For myself that is, no guarantee as to someone else's wrenching skills!!!!)

John

13. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

pull it out and fix it bars leaks works but where did the rest of the sealer go in the bottom of the block and radiator lessening cooling capacity plus if it were that easy to put a hole in the radiator the core must be weak as a whole and I would recomend recoring it

better to fix it right now than hoping the bars leak will hold at 3:00 am with 6" down and more on the way

14. marty1mc

marty1mc Junior Member

$400 for a radiator? I put one in my 85 chevy for around $125. Check around, even carparts.com sells one for $160. I got mine from a local warehouse and now that project is done for a long time.

15. marty1mc

marty1mc Junior Member

$400 for a radiator? I put one in my 85 chevy for around $125. Check around, even carparts.com sells one for $160. I got mine from a local warehouse and now that project is done for a long time.

16. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Yup, definitely an echo in here. LOL Mike

17. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

try a montycarlo radiator same thin only diferent mounts.

18. Snoworks,

Shop around, I bought new one for my 85 1 ton Dodge for $110.00 2 years ago. Made in Japan, but worked fine till I sold the truck last year.

Yes, if I had to take it out, I would definatly replace it!:waving:

19. Snoworks,

Shop around, I bought new one for my 85 1 ton Dodge for $110.00 2 years ago. Made in Japan, but worked fine till I sold the truck last year.

Yes, if I had to take it out, I would definatly replace it!:waving:

20. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

Hmm, no one else hears the echo but me? Im convinced there is one now for sure! :D :drinkup: Mike