1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Radiator in my 80 silverado

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by broller, Jun 13, 2001.

1. broller

broller Junior Member
    from indiana

Ok guys my radiator in my 80 silverado has a hole in it.Original euipment they tell me it has a oil cooler and they need to know if it has 3 4 or 5 pans or something.So my question is what size should I get to help keep the truck cool when plowing?
    Thanks
    Brad r

2. Doc L.

Doc L. Member

A 4 CORE radiator will serve you fine for snowplowing, I think that's the biggest you can get anyway. If you've got air conditioning get the biggest radiator you can get. If that turns out to be a 5 core so be it. The only time you'll usually have a problem with cooling your truck in the winter is when you put a winter front on it, like a Western or Meyer in the bucking positon up as high as possible. You've got to angle your blade and keep it low so air can get to it, especially if you're running out on the open road for any distance.

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Broller,

In 1980, all engines, from the 250 inline 6 cylinder, up to the 350 V 8, used a 3 row radiator. It has an internal transmission fluid cooler, not and engine oil cooler. The engine oil cooler was seperate and optional though on V 8's.

The 400 small block V 8, and the 454 big block V 8 used the larger (thicker) 4 row radiator. It wouldn't hurt to get the 4 row, but you'd need a new upper radiator support, as the 3 row and 4 row used different upper radiator supports. They used diferent rubber bushings on the top and bottom mounting points too, so you'd need them as well to do the swap. Not only that, but the 4 row radiator, is about $100 more than the 3 row. This is not including you having to find the upper support (and bushings) at a junkyard, or buying it through LMC Truck. For what it's worth, I have a 3 row in my 80 GMC, and it never runs hot when plowing or transporting the plow.

~Chuck