1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Radiator clamps on 2002/2003 chevy/GM

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by oakhill2000, Jan 25, 2003.

1. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

Does anyone out there have a 2002 or newer Gm or Chevy with radiator clamp problems? I just bought one in December and a friend of mine in early December and his lower radiator hose clamp snapped and it started leaking. I have basically the same truck and the clamp snapped in the same spot on mine going into the reserve tank. Is this a problem with the clamps or just happen circumstance? The clamps seam to be made out of cast which would explain the easy breaking, but cast doesn't seem right to me. I just stuck a regular hose clamp on there and the dealer warrentied a box of regular hose clamps for me to replace the others if they go.

2. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

I guess it was happen circumstance. Noone here has ever heard of it or had it happen to them. Just thought it was strange.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I haven't seen it much,only when someone doesn't use the tool to take them off and stretches them.

The constant tension factory clamps are way better than regular worm drive type hose clamps.The regular ones loosen up as the hose shrinks,and they deform the hose.

I would get the right ones from your dealer and put them back on.You need a special set of pliers,they aren't much,get them at a local jobber or parts house.With the right tool they come on and off in seconds.

4. oakhill2000

oakhill2000 Member

thanks, They snapped on thier own, I never had anything done to the truck yet or did I do anything, not even an oil change so they did just snaped on there own. I might have just been from this cold snap and the constant heating up and cooling off. Although the friend of mine with the 03 had the same problem in the beggining of December right after the first snow storm and it wasn't this cold. Oh well some things can't be exlained, like why when it is cold we get no precip and when it is warmer we get rain.

5. wyldman

wyldman Member

If they were just snapping on there own,then they must have had a defective batch,or GM isn't putting them on properly at the factory,and over stressing the clamps.