1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Radiator brackets and rubber

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by 400hp408sb, Aug 16, 2005.

1. 400hp408sb

400hp408sb Junior Member
    from Maine

I didn't find any other posts about this so I'll make my own. I've got an '87 3/4 4x4. I'm installing a 4 core radiator in my truck as the stock one can't handle the heat of the new engine while trail riding. The problem is the stock brackets don't fit this new monster. I figured no problem, I'd just go to the local chevy dealer and order the propper size. The brain trusts at GM discontinued that particular bracket. This seems to be a never ending trend for these old parts. Aparently the 4 cores only came with big blocks and diesels, according to the parts counter. My question is does anyone know of a place that sells these brackets. I could be days hunting through junk yards. I could cut my current brackets in half and extend them. But that still leaves the rubber mounts on the bottom being too small. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

2. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I think you just about reasoned all the options available. We did a swap about 5 years ago in our K5 from a 2 row to a 4 row- local junk yard and 10 minutes time was my answer. The parts guy is wrong- 4 row cores were available for the heavy duty cooling option package for 350's too. (look for a 3500/1 ton doner truck they are the most common equiped)

The only other option would be an internet or magazine search for that generation C/K parts. Noone will be making them, but there are places that deal with used parts like any other restorable vehicle- you just have to find them.
  3. 75gmck25

75gmck25 Senior Member

I've seen them in the catalog for www.lmctruck.com, and www.chevyduty.com may also carry them. It will cost more than junkyard if you buy new, but will save running around to find the right parts.

4. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i just did the same swap on my 81 c30 and had the same problem i also found them at a junkyard on a suburban why can't the dealer get you the brackets? so what if they only came on the big block they will still work.
  5. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Well, considering the manufacturer only has a legal requirement to support it's product for 7 years- I'd say they are doing pretty well.
  6. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

my bad i misted that part