1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Radiant is Ice Management Solution Too

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by KAM2009, Feb 19, 2015.

1. KAM2009

KAM2009 Junior Member
    from 46660

A glaring omission in Dale Keep's article (http://bit.ly/1AWEC2f) that most stakeholders could agree upon is a discussion of radiant snow and ice melting system solutions.

Safety, mobility and reliability are immediate benefits to the fastest response—any time of day or night, for your potential plaintiffs—to a winter weather event. Long term environmental concerns are mitigated through the reduction or elimination of salt or chemical usage.

For further consideration, think about http://bit.ly/188t8u7

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Are you a salesman for this?

3. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

We service a few properties in the hip ultra environmentally conscious part of town....we shovel their radiant heated sidewalks for them since they all work sporadically.

4. KAM2009

KAM2009 Junior Member
    from 46660

not a salesman, but an industry analyst where snow and ice management, as an industry, tends to forget (if not forgo) radiant solutions as a part of that industry. Billions of dollars are not accounted for. (Even if I were, it doesn't make it any less true.)

At least the environmentally conscious are trying ;) Is it a case "they all work" but only sporadically, or that they work but some units only sporadically? I suppose I am influenced by the photo included with the article, showing steps being sprayed. Wouldn't you agree that perhaps in your experience it could be improper installation, rather than the technology itself, which could be a contributing factor to the sporadic functionality?

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  5. KAM2009

KAM2009 Junior Member
    from 46660

FWIW, the radiant systems manufacturers do a horrible job talking about the solutions to the problems their products address

6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Environmentally conscious,

how so? because you dont need to use a deicer?

This system takes energy, so pollution is created to make the product and use it.
    then the cost of installation and repairs
    I've seen these in use out west, the power meter must be spinning away.

Wouldn't it me more Environmentally conscious to shovel the snow off before it turned into ice?

I guess if I was uber rich cost and Environmental concerns would be moot.

id have a radiant drive, walk, and steps, and it would be on all the time.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  7. KAM2009

KAM2009 Junior Member
    from 46660

The link below is a discussion about the typical costs (at least from a couple of years ago) of a radiant system. It probably pollutes less than the combination of salt, anti-freeze chemicals and diesel/gas burned (and maybe even costs less, too, when *all* costs are accounted for).

http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php?p=1637689&postcount=10

And, well, shoveling is better for the environment than salt and de-icers too ;) —and shovels *are* an accounted part of the snow and ice management industry