1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

radialling noise

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by truck1500, Nov 15, 2003.

1. truck1500

truck1500 Member

when i turn my wheel sharp or when i just turn it a little bit there is a radialling kind of noise i was thinking that it was maybe the bumper kinda loose. what do you guys think

2. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Your bearings may be going bad. Or, your upper & lower ball joints or your tie rod ends may be bad. U-joints could also be going bad. Jack the front end up and start wiggling stuff around. Make sure the suspension is at full droop so it isn't holding any of the weight. To check the u-joints, grab the axle shafts or stick a large screwdriver in the joint area and pry aroung. There shouldn't be any unusual play in the joints. The uppers & lowers will take a bit of work. Grab the tire and try to wiggle it up and down. There should be no play. The tie rod ends... Grab them and wiggle the daylights out of them. There should be no play. If you have NEXTEL, click me at my sig below and I can talk you through it all.

3. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

do you hear it only when moving or do you hear it even when its in park

john

4. truck1500

truck1500 Member

it is mainly when i put it into reverse and then turn the wheel it makes a radialling noise. it comes from the front sound like its on the passangers side. when i have it in drive and i go down the road and turn it seam ok to me.

5. truck1500

truck1500 Member

i am going to try the things that plow meister suggested and see it is anything with them. if you have any ideas cardoctor let me now open to anything. thanks for your help guys

6. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

the cat.converter not rattling is it?

john

7. truck1500

truck1500 Member

i dont i will have to check that out i think that i am going to see if that i can tighten up the bumper little more it would me a little bit hope that it is just the bumper.but i will check on the cat. converter. thanks for your help

8. truck1500

truck1500 Member

i did check all the joints and stuff but everything seamed ok to me did seam like that anything was loose at all

9. Plow Meister

Plow Meister PlowSite.com Addict

Do you have taller tires than normal? If so, you maybe rubbing the tire against the outter corner of the bumper. If so, you will have to shim out the bumper a bit.