1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Radar in the truck (Update)

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by minnesnowta, Dec 20, 2002.

1. minnesnowta

minnesnowta Junior Member

I had some time to use my new Sprint Vison cell phone today.
    I got on to the web and found 2 sites that will load a doppler radar loop on the cell phone. It's a little slow to load, about 30 seconds but after that it's great.

Radar and up to date weather right on my phone with no cords laptops or webcards.

No more calling around asking "what does the radar look like?"

2. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

For those of you with palm pilots. DTN (now Meteorlogix) offers current radar images (updated every 15 minutes) via your mobile phone and downloaded to your pilot. I think it runs about $30-40 per month. Its limited to certain pilots.

John

3. minnesnowta

Turfplus,

That's what my original plan was but now all i need is the phone.

4. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

Whats the cost? I still have to lug my laptop into the utility room on site and dial up.

5. minnesnowta

The phone was $249.00 but I did buy the most expensive one.
    You can get a different brand or model for a lot cheaper I think. You do need a Sprint "Vision" phone for it to work.

The web is free with your cell phone plan I pay $79.00 for 2000 week day minutes and unlimited off peak and web.

The cost for the radar is $3.95 per month. (Premium service I guess)

6. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

thanx for the info Minnesnowta.

7. OBRYANMAINT

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

It sounds like you have the radar right on the cell phone screen.I tried this with nextel but the cost was prohibitive.what i ended up doing it is cheaper to get a second line for my labtop.

8. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

I found this old thread talking about mobile radar, and I am wondering if anyone has any new info or comments about the premium services on some web sites that give you live radar on your cell phone.

9. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I just saw a police suv that i think it had on board radar on it. But for the life of me i cant remeber which citys car it was. It had an antenna much like youd see on a boat some where. So Im not really sure what they had been using it for Im only making an assumption on this....Rob

10. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Thank's Rob but I try to stay out of the police car's myself. :eek:
    I guess forgot to mention that I was wondering about radar on these new cell phones with mobile web and color screens.

11. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

I dont know anything bout radar on the moble stuff. All i know about is bout the gps on the palm pilots and cell phones...Rob

12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Might be a satellite up-link antenna Robhollar. Some of Cleveland's suburbs have so much money I would not doubt they have such a fast data link in a cruiser. I take it the thing was round about a foot high and 2 foot around? Some trucking companies like Roberts have them,you can track vehicles and send high speed data transfers between mobiles and the base and back. Just like being on the Internet but faster at .78c a minute too.

13. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

It looked like something like this:

319881405.jpg

14. kipcom

kipcom Senior Member
    from Indiana

Check out Nextel.....they have all the net goodies. We have laptops and phones with all the local radars.

15. minnesnowta

Yes, there are some new updates. I'm still using sprint but I have upgraded cell phones twice since the last thread. The upload time is still around 20 - 30 seconds but the shortcuts to the sites have really improved. I know the key strokes like a four digit code and then the radar is up in no time. I use "My Cast" radar. The cost is under $4 for 30 days of service. The image is not the best and the loop is only an hour but, It's by far the quickest hassle free way to get real time radar in the truck or any ware you might be. I also have a wireless laptop but I still use the phone when I'm in the truck just because it's so easy.

The new Sprint phones have a 2way Nextel style feature that will hopefully be compatible with Nextel and Verizion's 2way. This phone is the Sanyo 5400. It also has a speaker phone for all your calls. The speaker phone is great when your in the truck. I use to use an ear piece. But with the cord and everything it was just a pain for the all the short, frequent calls you get when plowing.

16. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

thats some great stuff but when i want weather i just change over am radio and they tell me

17. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

minmesnowta i wouldn't hold your breath on being able to two way a person with a nextel from a sprint. Look how difficult it is to change carriers and keep your same phone ##. AT&T is getting investigated over it. It sure would be nice though, because i would drop my nextel in about 2 seconds. great service my arse. :realmad: :realmad:

18. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

Im in the phone industry, and from what we have been told is Nextel will not allow their instant connect to work with others. Supposedly somebody has gone to the FCC to appeal this decision, I dunno only time will tell...Rob

19. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

I had that sprint service it sucks very badly,I have nextel now and im very happy wiht im paying 50 bucks a month for 500 day mins unlimited nights and weekends and unlimited 2-way and unlimited net and if i break my phone it cost me liek 20 bucks fior a $300 phone. whats kinda of nextel you all have FYI STAY AWAY FROM THE I730 IT BLOWS.

20. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

aw i dunno about that,all other companys 2-way systems have failed.verizon has dropped theres and also nextel hold the pantient to the 2-way