1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

R your Plows under warranty???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow man Foster, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

Hey i was just wondering how many of you guys' plows are under warranty.
    I recently came across a tread where the guy said this:
    Do you believe in this?? I know i have 8 plows and none of them are still under warranty except one the VXT. But they're all boss so i dont mind it. Never had a Major Problem with any of them.. (i have changed cutting edges, springs, bolts, etc.)

Is it really worth it to sell your plows after every season?!?!?!?!?!?

2. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Nope, not worth the hit on depreciation for a warranty by a dealer that's not even open in the middle of the night when you need them. To be effective, you better have the resources to fix a plow when it breaks, warranty or not, so you can take care of your customers. Warranties on plows are all but meaningless, especially when the manufacturers attribute everything to "abuse" anyway... :rolleyes:

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

How mulch time do you save by not typing the "A" and the "e"

4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

I don't think it Saves Mulch time at all.....................:help:

5. Plow man Foster

ahahhaahhaha! No i know how to spell "are" It wasnt about time....
    When if i would of typed the A and e it would of cut off the sentence.. lol ya' know what i mean? Where you click the link... this way you could see the whole topic without clicking on it.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

There's warranties on plows?

7. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

IDK, if he got what he was aking for then yes its worth it,lol In the other post he was asking somewhere around 7k and he said it sold. But typically I would say no. Maybe a plow thats a few years old you might break even also considering the money you made with it.

8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I'm trying to remember if we've actually ever even took a plow back for warranty in the last 20 years. Most times it's easier and quicker just to fix it ourselves plus abuse isn't covered so why even ask.

9. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I've never seen a guy abuse a plow before.

10. csi.northcoast

csi.northcoast Senior Member

usually if a plow broke it wasn't a warranty item.....

11. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

My dealer hasn't seen a plow that wasn't abused...

12. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I do warranty repairs all the time, everything from lift rams, A frames and headlights to swapping E-88s over to E-68s. Much of this the customer is never aware of because the issues are dealt with at install/assembly. The factories (all of them) pay crap, half the time the paperwork makes it cheaper to just fix the sucker for free and **** trying to collect warranty money because it cost you more in time then it is worth. The factories (all of them) are slow with payment, every summer I have credits in the thousands of dollars spread though a number of manufacturers because they don't pay me as quickly as they demand I pay them to continue to receive product.

A plow warranty's value is a dealer issue most of the time. Unfortunately for the reasons I have listed above many dealers avoid dealing with warranty like it was the plague. We will not do warranty work for outside purchases without factory approval and most certainly not in the middle of the night.

Often the issues are abuse related thought the operator never sees it as that. Warranties don't not cover bent moldboards unless they have large numbers of broken welds, broken hoses, pinched wires, install errors, maintenance or issues caused lack of maintenance such as freeze up.

I'd guess 60/70% of what we see in warranty happens before delivery of the plow due to factory assembly errors, manufacturer's recalls or missing parts, actual operation warranty failure is rare or in the case of some equipment deemed non-warranty by the factory.

The idea of buying new every year to have a warranty is kind of silly, if a unit is having issues that would be covered by warranty they should be straighted out by the end of the first year and reasonable maintenance will keep them running dependably (disregarding abuse) for 5/8 years.

13. Plow man Foster

I think it all comes down to dealer support and connections. (with Fellow plowers/ mechanics)
    Because as stated above at 1AM when something breaks its on you! You gotta fix it yourself or have a connection with another fellow plower because no one is gonna be open. Especially since your local dealer wouldnt be open for another 9 hrs probably. As i said above if you take care of your plows and use them as they were intended to be, you shouldnt have a problem with them. Out of my 19+ years of plowing i have only had minor problems suck as springs,bolts,cutting edges, break or changed. But in any event i know i have some body i can call if i have a problem even during the dog hours of the night... My indoor shop is also GREAT when it comes to maintenance or repairs.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No I said no warranty work on outside purchases in the middle of the night. We are open 24/7 when it snows. I've had guys not get home for two and three days, we will sell you parts, fix your plow, even do it under warranty if you bought it from us. Just because your dealer doesn't have 24/7 hours many do. Of course I recommend you carry the basic repair parts as travel time is often longer then repair time for things like broken hoses and 12 volt motor solenoids.

15. sn95vert

sn95vert Senior Member

A buddy of mine has a friend that got a Brand New MM2 from a local dealer. used it for the whole season and before spring, something went on it. Brought it to the dealer and in 3 days they just gave him a new plow and sent the old one back to fisher.

16. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

unusual occurrence.