1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

R there Other snowsport folks around?

Discussion in 'SnowSport®' started by 18lmslcsr, Nov 24, 2007.

1. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

After, over a year of research and contemplation chose to purchase the snowsport snow plow. There dvd is quite helpful, but it could show more abouth the product and in more settings/ locations.

Some of the reasoning behind the purchase:
    * Stoutly built
    ~Nice welds
    ~Decent hardware
    ~High quality
    ~metal thickness

* Well designed (for it's intended venue/purpose)
    * Light weight
    * Synthetic cutting edge (i.e. other then metal)
    * Versatile use (either front or rear)

Some insights into this product after purchasing and delivery:

*The packaging and shipping of the product is rather sub par
    ~Most of the piece came nicked, chipped or paint scuffed
    ~A can of bed liner spray took care of this minor issue
    (actually it made the finished product look much better imho)
    ~Placing bags of hardware in a carton with metal and not securing them is a no-no!

* The snowsport is a very well designed product, but takes a sizable portion of time to completely put together
    ~It seems fitting that with the purchase of the product that the holes, placement should all ready be drilled and slotted (they are not)...This took a rather disproportionate amount of time too do

~The hardware to hold the plow parts together should be stainless (jmho)

* Overall rating:

This is a well thought out, well built, engineered, effective product at a price point that is very doable for the average homeowner/small biz....

NO! I do not work for the company that makes this plow!

Actually, I'm a fellow LCO&Snow service with a niche that is filled by this product.
    Right tool for the right task.

Hope this information, experience can benefit others.

C.

P.S.
    What do you fellow snowsport folks think of your product? Is there a snowsport following ?

2. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

re: snow sport plow

i purchased mine 3 years ago, all holes were pre-drilled, top handles and mountings for the pivot points were tapped to accept the bolts, took about 20 minutes to assemble the blade and 30 minutes to install the hitch. the only minor problem i had was the big pin that holds the push frame to the receiver wouldnt fit the holes in the receiver, had to enlarge 1/16th inch. someone must be slackin when yours was built or they really cut back. may replace bolts with stainless, minimal salt causes corrosion on stock bolts in a short time. tjw.

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

i had one but unless youre doing one drive or small lot it sucks to get out of the truck everytime to put it down. dont get me wrong it does a job for the price but dont think your gonna be pulling in the dough with it. the worst is no backdrag at all for drives

4. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

Works great on the front of a decent size tractor loader. This also solves the problem of raising and lowering it!!

When I bought mine, the angled front interceptor was new and I had to trim the rubber side on the right to allow the snow to roll off- not too big a deal.

The best thing about it is early in the season when the ground is not frozen, you minimize the turf damage with that bottom edge.

5. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

Update

Have had the chance to operate the plow for a few snow storms.

* The materials of which it is built of are stout and holding together well
    * There should be reflectors or reflecting tape from the factory (put it on myself)
    * The unit tends to sway a bit when transporting it inbetween snow storms
    * So far so good

This is actually a pretty decent piece of equipment. It does what it says it'll do.payup

C.

6. BayStateGlenn

BayStateGlenn Member

Actually, the Snowsport plow has recently changed. The original model was one piece aluminum blade and the rubber ends and handles had to be bolted on. The newer version comes in many pieces (for shipping purposes?) and does require quite a bit more time to assemble. The aluminum blade is now in 2 halfs, a top half and a bottom half, which have to be drilled and bolted together.
    Someone mentioned having to get in and out of the vehichle a lot. This product is designed to be dragged backwards while plowing. The only reason to get out of your vehicle is if you are transporting the plow from point A to point B.

7. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

18lmslcsr, i will pass along an idea that i did to my blade, i removed the two center most bolts that hold the bottom rubber strip, added two 3/8 eyelet bolts in their place facing the truck, shortened two ratchet straps, hook to the eyelet bolts and to the safety chain holes in the hitch with the straps and snug it up, minimizes bouncing blade while traveling on the hwy. also works to back drag in down position. yeah, i know, you gotta get out of the truck, a whole 2 minutes, but its warm when you get back in, and it beats the heck out of the garden tractor i was using. might want to carry a a butane or propane torch in case the ratchet handle freezes up. good luck. tjw.

8. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

-

baystate & tjw I agree wholly with your postings.

I have been bothered very lil about the getting in and out. Helps stretch my legs. The unit does come as you stated baystate and because of this it takes a bit more time. :dizzy:

C.

9. 18lmslcsr

18lmslcsr Senior Member
    from WI.

Update 021508

Well it's been a while. Have had a chance to really use the product and it is still holding up very well.

It's rusting like a b@#$%^ in many spots (primarly the push frame & end plates)...
    The rubber ends have some creases in them and scuff marks, but the overall plow is still going strong.

This is one tuff lil plow.

I would recommend this plow for anyone wanting to do there personal space or small private road.

It is a bit much to raise and lower after hours of plowing during this winter in WI.and with wet thick snow and ice it rides over the top, but it sure as he@@ beats the cold.

C.payup:)

10. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

have you tried a free sample of the eureka fluid film? i havent. tjw.

11. 98tacoma

98tacoma Junior Member

my 2 cents

Thought I'd share my opinions on the Snowsport plow as well. I bought mine spring of '07 through realtruck.com. I got the 6' size because I thought the smaller size would be easier to maneuver. The ad said that it was a slightly used demo version, but when it came, it was in great shape, looked new. I also got the angled push frame. I've got it mounted on a 98 Tacoma 4X4. I always plow in 4 low.
    My experience so far has been great. It works as claimed (unusual huh). I did not install the end plates. I usually have the blade angled and push snow to one side or the other and I thought the end plates would interfere with this. The only problems I've had so far is the rust issue mentioned above and the plow needs a smooth surface to do a good job. I plow my driveway and my parent's drive. Mine is some gravel but mostly dirt while my parents is all gravel. The plow "hops" over the gravel but once a thin layer of snow is packed down, it's quite smooth. I've never had the opportunity to try it on any sort of paved surface.
    All in all, considering I spent under $1000 for everything, I would highly recommend this for someone who is clearing 1 or 2 drives and doesn't need a "regular plow".

12. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

98tacoma, dont know if you have ever tried the plow with the end plates, they actually hang down about a 1/2 inch below the main rubber piece, kind of like skids, helps from scraping up gravel, the back sides are rounded to help when backing up. i dont notice much problem with the blade angled as far as discharge, but i only go about a 100 feet. if the end pieces get worn down, i am sure they would be a lot cheaper to replace than the main piece. you might want to give them a try, i think there is really a purpose for them.

13. 98tacoma

98tacoma Junior Member

tjw, thanks for the advice, unfortunately it comes a little too late. It seemed to be working fine without them, so I threw them away last week. Didn't think I had any use for them. Anyway, like I said, now that we've got a decent amount of snow, I don't notice any problem.

14. 98tacoma

98tacoma Junior Member

Snowsport pics in storm pics

I posted some pics of plowing with my Snowsport in the storm pics section. Did great w/
    8" of new snow.

15. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

I bought my first Snowsport in '04 when the angled interceptor was new.
    I trimmed the right end plate close to the blade, to allow the snow to roll off easier when angled.
    This has worked very well and the end of the blade remains protected.

16. tjw in kans

tjw in kans Member
    from ne kans

i would have taken the thrown away ends for the price of shipping just for spares. 98 tacoma, good post of the plow in use. shows how such a small blade can push up a good sized snow bank. hope i dont need to use mine for the rest of the season.

17. robertbick

robertbick Junior Member
    from NY

Snowsport For Sale - Great Condition

I have had my Snowsport for 3 years and it has worked well for me. I just sold my Toyota Sequoia that I used it on and bought a Silverado. I will be getting a full sized hydraulic plow for it before next winter so thought I should sell my Snowsport. It is in excellent condition since it is always stored in the garage during the winter & in the shed during the summer. It includes the frame, but it is not the angled one.

I am located in Upstate NY if anyone is interested.
    I can be contacted at bobss7@yahoo.com

18. robertbick

robertbick Junior Member
    from NY

Snowsport Plow For Sale - $500

Selling my Snowsport plow since I recently bought a Fisher HD. First $500. takes it. Located in Amsterdam, NY. bobss7@yahoo.com

19. Flatulentvandal

Flatulentvandal Member

How does the SnowSport push snow over the curb?

If buy one of these for my 2001 Sport Trac, I will be using it for driveways. Here in Chicago suburbia I have to pile the snow up over the curb across the street after each pass down the driveway. If this thing cannot raise up over the curb, it doesn't seem like I am going to be able to pile it very well.... Any thoughts?

20. vtzdriver

vtzdriver Senior Member
    from Vermont

At the very least, you would have to proceed slowly as you approach the curb, so it can start to raise, or you risk bending or snapping something in the push frame.
    If the curb stones are close to vertical, I wouldn't even try it.

Do you have a receiver hitch on the front of your rig or would you be backing up?