1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

R&P installations

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by MTCK, Feb 27, 2002.

1. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

I know I know. Everybody says, take it to a pro, but I just want to KNOW, just to know if anybody has done it themself. I was just quoted $650 LABOR for the front and rear R&P's only. Parts come out to a little more than $500. That's a pretty darn big investment.
  2. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

3. 75

75 PlowSite.com Addict

R&P = Ring & Pinion, a.k.a. "rear end gears".

I've heard the same thing about "take it to a pro" and been told that is because setting the proper gear clearance/backlash is important to avoid chewing up the gear set. For that price it better be d*** important.

Sorry I can't offer any info on the topic, any swaps I have done involved the complete axle: Only time I've had the cover off the diff is to change oil or count the teeth.
  4. thelawnguy

thelawnguy PlowSite.com Addict

Do it wrong, and that $500 worth of parts will be gone in a flash. I personally dont have the patience. My dad did the r&p in his 73 Chevy van with just a can of grease and trying it out over several days til the sound was to his liking-not for me though.

That was the nice thing about the old Ford 9" rears, do it on the bench and just pop the whole thing in the pumpkin...
  5. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

What axles? 1/2 or 3/4 ton.
    Here is a general break down on a regear.
    Some where I have a down load of a manual for diffs.
    I'll see if I can dig it up.
  6. Power mad

Power mad Member
    from Oregon

Go here
    I am pretty sure that I down loaded the stuff from here.
    click on the down load at the top of the page.
  7. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Marcus R&P

Yea, I've done it about 5 times it takes alot of patience. First time was when I was 17 & thought it would be easy & save some $$$, I had rebuilt a motor so I thought how hard could it be. Well it was a $350.00 lesson the first time.:mad: :mad: I then went down to a speed shop & asked if I could watch & learn how to set-up a rearend the right way :p . If you deciede to do it, see if you can find someone else who has done it before, it helps.
  8. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

Ive done about 10 of them,it requires a lot of patience,and time, this first time.You may have to dissemble,and reassemble it may times to get it right.The most important thing it pinion depth,if its not right,it will not last,and will whine,no matter what else you do.
  9. MTCK

MTCK Senior Member

Thanks for the links and advice guys, I'll investigate further and let you know what happens. The truck is currently torn all apart, doing the front u-joints, tie rod ends, ball joints, ect, new transmission soon. Really. I'll post some pics as progress moves along.