1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Qustion about salt.

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by chevyplowman, Feb 16, 2006.

1. chevyplowman

chevyplowman Junior Member

I am fairly new to site. I was wondering what or if there is a certain kind of salt to use with the rear mount spreaders? We have alot of ice on the ground, and I have two apt. complexes that would like some salt put down. They both have blacktop lots. Temp. staying around 20. If anyone could give me info I would greatly appreciate it.

2. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Brew some hot tea and curl up with the ice management forum here. Might be a good idea to read through the new to the industry forum too.

Generally speaking the weapon of choice is rock salt, which comes in several varieties, treated and not, belnded and not.

This is a complicated endeavor, but fear not, you can handle it.

3. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Welcome to Plowsite! I am from Freeport, just north of you. We have as much as 2 inches of solid ice in some places here. I am using De-icer now and am just planning on going out in the morning and throwin alot. I have one chain store that doesnt want any type of material spread...:dizzy: They have an ice rink!!:nod:

4. chevyplowman

chevyplowman Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I was in Freeport for a funeral and could not get back in time to clean up before it froze. I was watching everyone in Freeport clearing the slush and just dreading getting back too late. I'll be busy with the lots and sidewalks today. Does the chain store with the ice rink like insurance claims? Good luck and thanks.