1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

quoting on a bigger commercial contract?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by johntheplowguy, Aug 24, 2008.

1. johntheplowguy

johntheplowguy Junior Member
    from toronto

i'm quoting on a bigger commercial contract not as big as walmart but it is a plaza mall with many entrances and parking islands i am wondering with the equipment i have do others think this is sufficent i am 2nd guessing my self and i wont to make sure it will be worth it for me in the long run. My equipment is 1 F350 diesel with western wideout 1 F250 gas with western wideout 1 F150 with 7.5 artic poly and 1 bobcat with protech 8' push box and 1 72" snow blower what does everyone think about my situation?????

2. 06HD BOSS

06HD BOSS 2000 Club Member

i believe you have sufficient tools. one or 2 trucks and the bobcat could probably handle it. when i was doing a couple walmarts for another guy, he had a loader on each lot and i was in a f650 bouncing around between them. during an average storm, each lot would average about 5-6 hours with the loader there constantly and me spending about 2 hours total per lot. if you bulk everything out with the smaller trucks and use the bobcat and f350 with the wideout to push everything back, you should be fine.

3. johntheplowguy

from toronto

thanks for the reply I was thinking about renting a loader but that would eat my profits so i thought bid it cheaper and not have to get rental equipment for the job. i asumme it will take with the 3 trucks and bobcat about 5 hours at worst knock on wood haha. You mentioned bobcat and 350 to push bulk snow left over from the 150 and 250 were you thinking the bobcat with push box or blower?

4. 06HD BOSS

you said you have a 8' box for it, so thats what i was talking about. i forgot youre in toronto and get alot more snow than we do. so i couldnt answer if a blower would be better or not. if you have the smaller trucks bulk the snow out into certain areas of the lot, i would use the bigger truck and the bobcat to move the snow where youll be piling it. that way your not killing the smaller units and youll be amazed how much quicker it'll be having each machine do shorter runs.

5. johntheplowguy

from toronto

yeah we do get more snow last year my crew and i went out 45 times at 2 inches or more unreal. yeah the 150 is leased and is going back in march so i would agree with you let that truck and the 250 push straight lines down the lot and have the 350 and bobcat pilling it in corners of the lot the blower works great with under a foot of snow but the snow has to be fluffy not wet push box is great way to move it into corners to bulk and the blower is great when you need to throw it to place snow in certain areas was thinking of giving back leased truck early and buying another F350 Diesel but not sure what is in my best interest yet.

6. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

Look at your big picture. Sure this might be a good account, but will this One good one take away from all your others? Sometimes its best to pass on the big, equipment sucking accounts and keep doing the others.

But if you are willing to either not fully service or or completelyr other drop some of your other acconts, then bid it. you seem to have the right equipment.

Also get more side walk equipment. first complaint from these guys is going to be lousy sidewalk service.

J.

7. johntheplowguy

from toronto

thank s for the reply we are doing the sidewalks as well with 3 hoda track walk behind snowblowers, the good thing about this account is that it is located within 5 miles of the rest of the commercial lots we manage thus saving us on travel time from contract to contract and with all my equipment in one area i would assume it would be better for break downs were all together plus it should be fun working all together. all the other commercial lots are not the same size this one all together would maybe equal 3/4 a normal walmart sized lot there is lots of room for the snow. I do have a question for you if 1 truck or the bobcat were to break down would you still think i could make it through the night in time for opening @ 9 am??

8. 06HD BOSS

to answer your question, yes. just hope its the f150 with the 7.5 that breaks down LOL :D seriously though, you should be able to do that lot with 2 trucks if need be....it would be a little rough if you get a sh** load of snow.

---mind you im basing this off of a CT storm on the walmart sized lots i plowed

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  9. johntheplowguy

from toronto

yeah thats what i say haha i appreciate your time i actually feel better about this contract we will see how this winter goes have you heard how much there expecting for snow fall this year?

10. 06HD BOSS

i rather not know :( :cool:

11. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

i havent heard much. i hope we get a decent amount. i love plowing so the more the better.

12. johntheplowguy

from toronto

we run seasonal so i hope we get nothing haha

13. johntheplowguy

from toronto

you guys like your chevy and gm i love my ford but the 150 blow 3 trannys last year