1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quote for season or Storm/inch

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by mr hydroseed, Nov 8, 2006.

1. mr hydroseed

mr hydroseed Member

Last year I started commercial snow removal. I didn't get that many accts. I must have bid too high? Last year also sucked for snowfall in the NorthEast. I had one very easy parking lot for $150 that took less than 20 minutes but lost bids on other lots that were 10's bigger when I quoted $200??? This year I'm thinking of quoting everyone for the season and take my chances, but what do you think I should base the price on? My per inch price based on Average snowfall? Or should I deduct a small percentage because the customer is taking a gamble?
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

No. You're taking a gamble, too, aren't you? That's what it's all about. Sometimes you win, sometimes the customer wins.

First thing is to figure out the average number of pushes per season. This is goinng to be based on either your records (which apparently you don't have) or averages and your trigger. So, to start, what is your trigger depth and is it consistent for all sites? Then go to this site and find the average yearly snowfall for a town near you. Then get back on here or PM me.

Oh, and for reference: I have a seasonal residential that takes about five minutes. Seasonal rate was $400 last winter and went to $425 this year. When I mailed him about increase and asked if he'd like me again this year, he said he'd be glad to have me again and $425 was certainly agreeable. So don't short-change yourself. Better to not make money watching TV and drinking coffee than lose money by essentially paying them to plow their driveway.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  3. mr hydroseed

mr hydroseed Member

Weatherbase? Huh?

Everyone and their mutha says to go here for snowfall records, but I've never found any information about snow! Am I blind??? It only gives record highs, lows and precipitation amounts for the month and that's not snow. I want a place that says " 12-19-03 in this area received 6.7" of snow." Does this exist? I have records from last year only and that's not quite reliable. I plowed only 9 times last year, I'm going to base my seasonal contracts on 20 for this year, sound good?
  4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Well, I don't know about everybody's mother, but I use it. I just checked for Mount Washington and Keene in NH and it's the 7th item down. There are some cities that I checked in NH that do not list snow specifically, so I don't know what that's about. As far as what you're looking for, by day, snowfall depth by location, I've never seen one. If you find one, please let me know. Maybe a pay site on NOAA? Yes, I'd say a little more than double last year would be good. I base seasonal on 12 pushes and only had five last year.
  5. Added Touch

Added Touch Member

For Mick

Hi Mick,

I couldn't figure on how to send to you directly concerning your post in this thread, so I hope you excuse this. I am looking for some feedback on pricing ... here is my question, You mention a resedential client that you have for aprox $400 a seasnon. I s thsi a typical client or would you say a higher end client? Also is this seasonal based on 12 visits? If you wouldn't mind reading and responding to my post in the New to the Industry Forum , I would greatly appreciate your experienced feed back. Also if you could point me to a seasonal contract sample that would be amazing :)

Thanks in advance