1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quote and contract Qs

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by The Duke, Nov 21, 2007.

1. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

I am going to be trying to give a quote/bid on a group of 5 families in the same nieghborhood. Could you guys give me some advice on how to quote when I go there? Would you guys give a "group" discount for signing up together?
    This is my first time doing this and I'm a little nervous.

Also, does anyone have a contract for residential accounts?

Thanks!

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

My advice - Give a "group rate" only if one person is responsible for paying you. That person is then responsible for collecting from the others. BUT make sure that they understand that you get this rate regardless of anything else; this is an "all or nothing" deal. Otherwise, quote each place individually as if each were the only one in that neighborhood that you plow. Also, have it understood that anything that needs to be addressed comes to you through that person. Otherwise, you'll wind up trying to please five individual circumstances and what if one or two "fires" you? The remainder want their price prorated at the current price (divide the price by five and that is each person's "share"). Also, you want them to agree on a time that they need it plowed by; otherwise each will want you there 15 minutes before they need to leave for work or whatever.

This is one account; not five accounts under one umbrella.

3. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

Has something been mentioned to you about getting a group discount for that neighborhood? If so, my answer would be that the VALUE sought is in the service quality & integrity that you're offering for the fair price you are charging. As Mick said, if you lose one of them, a discount hurts you that much more. 2-3 in one area makes driving there worthwhile usually, so signing 5 would be awesome, and hopefully it only grows from word of mouth. Try not to do the discount thing, as the whole concept seems rather shady to me (mentioned in a different thread, a discount means that the original price you quoted was intentionally inflated IF you can still do it at a lower rate, and I'm not about playing that crap with people).

4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

What ever you do, if the driveways are similar then charge them all the same price. They will talk. And there is no quicker way to piss one of them off then to have them find out that their neighbor is getting charged less.

You can explain to them that you are offering a reduced rate based on all of them signing because of drive time.

Like Mick said, when they want it done is important. If one of them has to leave for work at 5 and the rest at 7, then it doesn't make any sense to plow the one guy at 5, leave and come back to plow the others at 7 if you are offering them a discount based on drive time.

5. The Duke

The Duke Member
    from WI

Thanks guys.

Does anyone have a sample contract for residential? I thought there was something once where there were a whole bunch of sample contract, but I couldn't find it.