1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

quiting sidewalks

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Jay brown, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i got fired from a sidewalk yesterday, because we didn't get there till 4 pm one day and late several others.......it's my loss. my take will be $60 less everytime now....i don't know why i do all these walks anyway, they only gross me about $220 per time and i have to pay my helper $100 for labor, but i just can't seem to quit them because thats where i got my start in the biz.... anyone else have this problem? you know they are not good for you and you are not good for them, but you just keep doing them?

2. m.williams

m.williams Member

I will not ever be able to stop with the wlaks, first off it opens up so many more buisiness oppurtunities and its good exercise but like you thats where i got my start when i was about 7 with a garden shovel(lol). The sidewalks wont disappear and its a big deal breaker when bidding for contracts sometimes.

3. KL&M Snow Div.

KL&M Snow Div. PlowSite.com Addict

IMO its kinda dumb to not do the walks. When I bid a snow removal job I include the sidewalk from the house to the driveway.

4. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

jay...i'm assuming you're referring to commercial sidewalks?

5. Jay brown

that's the only sidewalks i know of....we only plow one residential and it doesn't have a sidewalk...

6. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I like the sidewalks we do. Hop on the ATV and haul arse for about 1 1/2 miles, load up and you're done. We get paid about 60/push, it's not bad. It's actually more fun than sitting in a truck, feels like you're snowmobiling!

7. IPLOWSNO

IPLOWSNO PlowSite.com Addict

unless theres jumps involved thats no snowmobile ride id want lol

8. redman6565

haha i hate them too man...honestly i maintain a 38 acre parking lot (no lie 1.6 million square feet) and i get more bitching about their damn walkways then i do about plowing the large parking lot. i can clear that whole damn thing and have it look spotless and if i forget the smoking area of the sidewalks, i'm getting three or four phone calls from each assistant manager bit**in.

9. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

As you should....smokers are people too and you must keep their area clean and safe so they can go smoke their smokes. :p :D

10. redman6565

hey i'm doing them a favor. figure if there is three feet of snow in their smoking area, then they can't smoke. i should be gtting paid by the surgeon general for my good work haha

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A lot of places around here are becoming smoke free properties, you have to go out on the street to smoke.

12. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Yes......community service! ;)

13. redman6565

haha thats right

14. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

It also gives them something to roll in should there be a slight mishaps and they happen to catch on fire. Saving lives one snow pile at a time.

15. Jay brown

lol.......

16. redman6565

just doing my civic duty

17. dhadaway632

dhadaway632 Member

15 city blocks of sidewalks and not a 50 yard stretch without a raised sidewalk. I hate sidewalks, but it is part of the public school bid. I never get complaints about parking lots, always sidewalks. They break the plows almost everytime hitting the lifted sidewalks. They can never put enough salt down to satisfy the woman walking thier precious children to school ( who if mommy would let go of thier hand would go dive into the biggest pile of snow they could find). God forbid Johnny gets his shoes wet! Right now I have my Rincon heading to the shop because it lost reverse a week ago. Did I mention I hate sidewalks?

18. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

I hate them as well, I feel when your all said and done they make up less the 10% of profits and 90% of complaints. But sometimes you just have to suck it up and do them to get the larger accounts

19. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Nice! lol its like office space lol I hate it when they do that

20. redman6565

no doubt...its unfortunate but it is what it is and we still do them