1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quite electric winch?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by Tommy_T, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Tommy_T

Tommy_T Junior Member

I want to use an electric winch to lift my 42" plow, I got a 12vdc unit from
    farm&fleet 2000lb superwinch, the price was right, but it makes too much
    noise, it'l wake my lover(very bad for me!).

I also use the winch to load the plow in to pickup truck, so linear actuator wouldn't work.

anyone know of a quite 12 or 24vdc electric winch? (plow weights less then 100lb)

Tommy

2. Holland

Holland Senior Member

I've never heard of a quite wench....

3. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

should have purchaced a better quality winch in the first place
    also try synthetic rope it will take some noise out of it

4. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

My 3500 winch is not to loud. But its on my bike. Did you look at a hand crank winch.

5. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

:laughing:

Could rig up a hand-crank winch with a cordless drill...

6. Tommy_T

Tommy_T Junior Member

None of the brands give noise information in their descriptions(specs).

but this add from tractor supply for a Champion Power Equipment™ 2,000 lb. Winch Kit
    lists quite operations in the very first review.

Tommy

winch.JPG

7. blazer2plower

Tom what is it you try to do? If your winch wakes.up your partner. Is she sleeping in the truck. I only ask. Because all winches are noisy. There are things. you can do to make them less noisy. Run Synthetic blue rope. Spray WD40 on your wire. Make a box to put around you winch.

8. Tommy_T

Tommy_T Junior Member

blazer2plower, I live in a trailer park and I love to plow snow, but the park owners
    have the equipment and manpower to plow the paved roads, so I have to get up
    and plow our block before they do(take all my fun), that means I gotta start a 5am.

if I used my current winch to lift the plow not only could it wake my lover, it could
    generate complaints from the other people.

I replaced the plow skids with casters and have had zero complaints for the last
    two years.

Tommy

DSC06619.jpg

9. blazer2plower

OK the only thing I see wrong with that winch from tsc is the gears are NGWN type planetary geartrain also known as plastic do you ride your bike on trails? If I would not get that on from tsc. Is your bike out all the time? If so when was the last time you serviced. It? They do need a little TLC From time totime

10. blazer2plower

OK the only thing I see wrong with that winch from tsc is the gears are NGWN type planetary geartrain also known as plastic do you ride your bike on trails? If I would not get that on from tsc. Is your bike out all the time? If so when was the last time you serviced it? They do need a little TLC From time to time

11. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Your worried about a winch. But is that ATV electric or something?? Ain't that thing a gasoline engine with an exhaust and a muffler?? Get over waking pple up. do u think the trailer park owners care if they wake up pple

12. Tommy_T

Tommy_T Junior Member

Yes, it electric(batteries). not sure I'd call it an ATV, more like ROV or Drone.

is very quite even with the chains.

They do it because they have to, I do it for fun. my fun shouldn't cause problems
    for others.

Tommy

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  13. dieselss

Ok then. If your "lover" understands then who cares the'll get over it.

14. dieselss

I know they make a manual lift go with that if your so concerned.