1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quit plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mick, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Today, I made the decision today to quit plowing snow which I have been considering for about a year. I called my insurance agent and had the General Liability and Commercial Vehicle insurance cancelled. I have decided to continue with making and selling Magic Salt. My decision was a result of a four-year run of below average snowfall, a very bad yeard (less than 1/2 the average snow) this year and some physical problems.

As some may know, I'm retired from federal service and have been considering another career. I had strongly considered towing, but decided against it due to start up costs (particularly insurance). I have since become involved with the Red Cross and have taken some training. I have also begun involvement with Habitat for Humanity.

Unless anyone objects, I will continue to come to snow-related sites and offer advice.

Just call me a "fly by night".
  2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

mick hope you still come back and help us out. your advice has helped me and alot of others here more than you can imagine.
    i understand why you decided to get out of plowing, i just got out about 1 month ago. no snow to plow = no money. havent been out since december.
    any way, good luck in your future jobs.
  3. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Good luck to you in your new path. Thanks for the help and advice you have given me here. Please continue to come here and give the great advice you have been giving to all of us.

4. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

I would like to toast you, congrats on your descision. I have previous stated you have always gave a open minded and honest reply in any of your post replies. That is very generous of you for your future desires to mankind.
    Ins. is very tough, it is the neccessary evil that we don't have a choice of. My plan goes year round from being a landscape contractor so im kind of getting some use of it , where if you only plow that is very tough to compensate. I run in to the issue with workers comp, we landscape march- early november and i still pay for the off months.
    As a new member on this site i always enjoyed your post please keep up with your thoughts. This site has been very educational for me and others.

5. ICindrich

ICindrich Senior Member

Congratulations and I would like to say thanks for all of the good advice, that given directly to me and from other threads. Good luck and keep busy.

6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I haven't known you long and yes your good with your answers especially for the newer guys.I've got 20 seasons so far and I think the same thing.But snowplowing is just the mafia nobody leaves for good.:rolleyes: But if you do go for a prsport I'll have a :drinkup: for you after one of those 60 hr. days.
  7. brunosplace

brunosplace Senior Member

We would more likely be offended if you didn't stop by!! Please stay on here, we need your expertise, some of are still wet behind the ears!! LOL!! :) Good luck to you on your new endeavors, and keep us posted as to how things are going. :nod:
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2006
  8. NJ Plowman

NJ Plowman Senior Member

Good luck in your future endeavors. We would all welcome your input here, and are all humbled in your presence... :waving:
  9. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I have been playing around with the same thought. We have only had about 10 plowable events this winter and that's just not covering the bank loan. I keep saying that we "are gonna get the big one" one of these winters. It just hasn't happened yet. Good luck in your future endevors. You will be sorely missed on this site.
  10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I hope you enjoy your retirement Mick and I also hope you stay and continue to share your valuable expertise with the members:nod:
  11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

You'll miss it to bad to quit.
    I'll bet you take one of the many offers you'll be getting to ride somebody else's horse. Like a retired fire horse at the smell of smoke. You'll hear "snow" and start checking the weather sites. How can you walk away from the beauty of fresh fallen, untouched, snow then pushing all up into big piles for money! Particularly if somebody else has all the hassles, you just get to play and get paid!

The Red Cross and Habitat are great projects. My father "retired" and started volunteering full time for the Appalachia Service Project. If you're like him your most important career is just starting.:salute:
  12. westwind

westwind Member

Thanks mick, your advice made a difference!
  13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

I wish you all the best Mick.
    Please don't be a stranger around here tho, these young bucks still need experienced advise.

I never did ask what part of ME you're in...
  14. Fordistough

Fordistough Senior Member
    from USA

Just Me, If I am not mistaken, I believe Mick is in Palermo, Maine. On route 3, half way between Augusta and Belfast, Maine. Mick, too bad you have to go. I don't think you really will stay gone, plowing is just too addicting. I hope you can still visit us all the time.

15. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good plan to me. Plowing snow is a pain in the ass anyway. Good luck!
  16. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

Good luck with the salt buisness. Happy to hear you'll still be around and posting next year.
  17. adksnowo

adksnowo Senior Member

Good luck on future endeavors. You are very fair and modest w/ your advice. Thank-you for your decision to give back to the community in retirement. Also you are right it has been a crummy run of winters, I ski & snowmobile as well and I'm wondering if any of the equipment and toys are even worth it! BTW you from anywhere near Unity? Went to school there, no I'm not a tree huggin' Hippie!:waving:
  18. Mick

from Maine

Thanks, I really appreciate all the well wishes. I will be still be around and you're right about not being able to just give it up altogether. When I told my wife I'd finally decided to get out of it, she said I couldn't completely quit. My being in the plowing business was like insurance that it didn't snow too much.:rolleyes: She's afraid if I'm not plowing, we'll start getting major snowfalls. Actually, against all the advice I usually give, I'll probably keep plowing a few of the neighbors. There are four on a local, gravel road behind me that aren't going to be able to get anyone else. I've already talked to the other guys who plow in this area and nobody wants to take the one that needs plowed out by 6:00. So I'll probably keep them until they find someone else.

It'll be different though. Now, I won't be monitoring the weather like I was. I won't be getting up at 2:00 to get the truck going and be out by 3:00. When I wake up at the usual 4:30 or 5:00 and if there's enough snow on the ground, I'll go plow it.
  19. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Good Luck with any new endevors you take on Mick, I have known you long enough on this site to say with confidence that you will be good at and dedicated to anything you do. Very nice of you to get involved with the Red Cross and Habitat as well.

We are all happy to have you posting here and hope it continues as usual. You have enough of a stake in the business with the magic salt (not that you need one). Do you plan on keeping the plow(s) just until another plower takes over your neighbors or are you going to continue to do your own driveway/neighbors indefinately?

I am alot younger and less experienced but I can see where you coming from with the odd hours and watching the weather constantly. It gets old, and stressful especially when the winter does not produce much snowfall. As you said, it should be nice not having to "chase the flakes as they fall" so to speak, now you can just plow more or less on your schedule.
  20. Mick

from Maine

My own as long as I can physically, so that should be quite a few years. The neighbors as long as they want or until they get someone else. I already sold 1/2 ton and plow so I'm down to the one ton, 9' plow and sander. That was another factor in my decision. The 1/2 ton wasn't roadworthy anymore so I was going to have to buy another truck for a backup.