1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quieting the "meat grinder" noise of a rotator

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by All Trades, Oct 19, 2003.

1. All Trades

All Trades Junior Member
    from Iowa

I am looking for any tips to quiet my rotating light. I was thinking about putting rubber of some sort between the light and magnets. Anyone else tried anything for this problem?

Thanks, Todd
  2. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I had a problem with the roof buckling on one truck, what I did was to get a can of Great Stuff, foam insulation in a can and fill the void between the inner and outer roof panels. This eliminated the buckling, but also lessened the noise from the light's motor as well. You don't get the tinny transmission of the motor noise.
  3. wyldman

wyldman Member

Get a strobe,or a quieter rotator.You could also mount it on a post in one of the stack pockets.It will be a lot quieter back there.

WOOFSPLOW Member

Try some white lithium grease on the gears and spline - it worked for me. I now have all strobes - all four corners and mini lightbar.