1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quiet is good?!?!

Discussion in 'Hiniker' started by Joe Snow, Nov 4, 2008.

1. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

I think I'm more and more at ease with my decision to go with Hiniker when I visit this forum and there's no activity. I'm assuming (hopefully rightfully so) that the peace and quiet in here is due to the fact that nobody has issues or headaches with their Hiniker equipment.
    :waving:

2. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Ha HA HA ROFLMAO

jk:D

3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

There are problems just look for them... I personally have had 2 mounts snap off among other things however there are issues with all of them!

4. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Sure, I was having a GREAT morning and you guys had to come by and blow it:cry:;)

5. JEFFakaMAX

JEFFakaMAX Junior Member
    from Chicago

4 hinikers ranging up to 10 years old. I've gone through a set of hoses and a solenoid to date. I need parts this year mostly due to hoses dry rotting on the 'spare' that's been sitting for 5 years.

6. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Thanks Jeff....

That's more of what I was looking for:salute:

7. Bob Henry

Bob Henry Junior Member

They are one of the best plows made, although I think most of the manufacturers have caught up over the years. The mounting system is great, it is basically a farm tractor "quick hitch", the other manufacturers mounting systems look like they could be a problem once things start rusting and getting old, or bent up, the Hiniker just takes a little oil to keep it operating. Also look at the A frame on a Hiniker, it is made of square or rectangular tubing which is much stronger the the competition's angle iron. I have plowed for over 30 years and ran Western, Meyer, and Hiniker. My first Hiniker is about a 1997 and I have "never" replaced a trip spring, the only thing I have replaced is one hose and the oil and maybe the cutting edge once. It is ready for a new cutting edge and one of the hoses is just about rotted off. The only issue I have is there are not a lot of dealers around my house.

8. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Thanks Bob.
    I went with Hiniker due to their reputation as well and there's not heavy dealer support in my immediate area either. I'll buy an emergency kit to give some level of assurance to myself.
    One thing that concerns me about the mounting system is the fact that it sticks out and is pretty low on the vehicle. I've not gotten down to look under there since it was installed, but I hope there's a way to remove the two mounting arms somewhat easily after the snow season has passed.

9. trafficman

trafficman Junior Member

I love my hiniker 7'6" I have had mine since 99 and have not changed or fixed anything except oil.

10. mrplowmn

mrplowmn Junior Member

Joe Snow- How much clearance do you have with the plow off? I'm about to buy a scoop or v and also am concered about clearance for the summer.

11. Joe Snow

Joe Snow Senior Member

Just measured. 9 inches bottom of mounting forks to ground. There is one "tab" on each fork towards the rear that's about an inch or two long and hangs down giving you 8'1/2 inches clearance. I've not had mine on that long, but have not hit any curbs, parking stoppers or anything of the sort.

I think Fisher has a similar setup but theirs is easily removable. I would imagine the forks on these could be removed after the season also, I've just not looked under there to verify. Hiniker has install manuals on their website, you may want to go and take a peek.
    :waving:

12. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I removed mine for the summer , but I can see how you could possible break them taking the plow off if it sticks to one fork or you hit something hard enough, other than that I just keep the contacts nice and clean so my connectors don't rot. I spray mine down with rust prevention lube and keep it in a dry storage for the summer. looks damn new after the first year.

13. Duncan90si

Duncan90si Senior Member

I bought a truck that had a 8' Hiniker already installed on it and I was sketchy about it at first because nobody around here runs them. It turns out, I love it. For a straight blade, it is an awesome plow. I will throw snow when windrowing farther than any other plow I have used.

Its been 2 years now and I've had to replace one hose and the spool valve was stuck a few weeks ago (10 minute fix). They are well built and very reliable but just not as popular as other brands, especially in my area. Unfortunately the closest dealer is about 50 miles away, but I have only needed to go there once and that was for a need cutting edge.

My forks (88-98 Chevy) come off with 4 bolts, 2 on each side, thats it. I leave the mounting brackets on the frame and remove the forks from April till Nov. It takes me 5 minutes to remove it and maybe 10 to reinstall it. I have never hit anything with the forks. I take them off for off roading during the summer months. Most Western Unimounts hang way lower than the Hiniker mounts. Ground clearance is not bad at all.

14. topdj

topdj Senior Member

I have a dealer about 3/4 of a mile away if I need anything, kinda wish I had the 7.5 foot steel plow
    but I was concerned about the weight with a 1/2 ton crew cab