1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quickbooks

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by JDT, Jan 6, 2009.

1. JDT

JDT Member

I was hoping someone could help me out. I am using quickbooks pro 2007. In an effort to get better organized I decided to use the program as much as I could for everything. I'm trying to figure out how to put my accounts payables in there. I want to show what I pay each month for stuff I have for equipment, trucks, etc. so that I can see it. I'm not sure hwo to do this..any help would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone use this program to print checks? Do you feel its better to do it this way?

Thanks.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

3. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I use QB 04'. Same concept though. I do not print checks with it but I use the function that prints checks to record everything, just don't physically print the checks. I basically hand write checks as needed. Then when I get my bank statement I go into QB and write the same checks into QB. Any EFT's I also write a check for in QB. I just never hit the button to actually print a check. Make sense?

4. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

how do you guys enter transactions that you use a debit card for?
    the same way as a check?

5. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I don't do that but would assume so.

6. WINTER 3

WINTER 3 Member
    from Vermont

For the stuff you buy on credit you need to be in the enter bills window. When you write the check you should be in the pay bills window. If you have loans for equipment and other stuff that is the loan manager window

7. ColliganLands

ok thanks that should help alot
    i got quickbooks pro 2009 a couple months ago and its been slow getting used to it from my old using excell(mess)

8. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

yep great program

9. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

I'm getting used to QuickBooks, but there's still some things I wish it did better. Or differently.

A big one for me is taking one estimate and coming up with multiple invoices ~ I think I've got it mostly worked out, but I'd really like it if the terms allowed for a deposit and then a final payment, instead of just requiring it all at once. The way I did it last year, I did one invoice per project, and I'd ignore that those invoices were months overdue (initial deposit/design fee collected well before work started, let alone finished.) It does make the month of February look real good for sales, though... :D

Disclaimer: I used to write software of a similar nature to QuickBooks, but I'm on the road to recovery from that, and hope one day to regain most of my sanity. That history does lead me to pick apart things others wouldn't pay any attention to.

10. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

I would highly recommend having your CPA spending the time to properly set-up QuickBooks for you. It will cost you some up front time, but is well worth it when it comes to tax time! A good CPA will spend the time with you to understand your business and set-up the program to not only do what you want, but make the reports they need easier to obtain what they need. In the long run, you will save time & money!

11. grasshappens

grasshappens Junior Member

For debit card just use "EFT" in the check number window. I'm assuming the debit card is from one of the business checking accounts?

12. ColliganLands

yes the debit card is for the businees im too lazy to write chekcs or if i roder something for business onlinei use that
    thanks guys next week im going to play around with it somemore

13. qualitycut

qualitycut PlowSite Fanatic

EFT ? What is that

14. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

Electronic Funds Transfer

15. qualitycut

Ok so when I use my check card for say gas. I usually just go to the bank ledger and put it in the ledger is that correct?

16. terrapro

terrapro PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

how much does that run you?

17. qualitycut

Well I have been talking to a few people on having them do it once a month for me, I have got prices from 100 per month for under 5 hours and some 300 hundred( probably certified CEP) The 15 and hour to 30. Im going to probably use a lady I found that wants to barter partial service with me. Put a add on craigslist and see.