1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quickbooks Reviews

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by glenspot, Feb 2, 2005.

1. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

I'm looking into quickbooks.

Anyone use the "simple start edition" vs the "pro" version?

It looks like th simple start edition will do everything I want... Track costs, print invoices, creates estimates, track customers payments, ... and its only $75 vs the PRO edition or Blizzard buster, which are both in the $200 range.

So far the only thing I can see in the PRO version is the option to customize the forms, and deal with employee costs (i have no employees)

Anyone have any opinions on simple start vs pro?

2. ibelee

ibelee Senior Member

After years of using a "mishmash" of everything from Excell spreadsheets to word docs for my accounting, my new wife decided to buy the QuickBook Premeir "Contractor's" Edition. Boy! What a difference! she can print me out all kinds of reports, financial statements, ect. It has taken her a couple of weeks to learn it but she's about got it down now. I also looked at Blizzard, but as my business is a duel entity(General Contractor, Metal Fabrication, Snow Plowing) we needed something that would encompass all facets of the business. QuickBooks did that for us.
  3. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

I have the Quick Books Simple Start and love it. I used to try to keep everything straight by using Microsoft Word & Exel and it was a pain in the butt. Now one program does it all for me.

Good Luck Mike
  4. glenspot

glenspot Senior Member

Is there anything that you WISH you could do, but just can't with "simple start"?

5. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Not yet but have only had it for about 3 week's now. I,m having a problem printing invoice's but I think its not Quick Start. I need to sit down this week and fix that. I love the way it tracks cost and income. I used to throw everything in a file and everyonce in awhile would enter the data but it's so easy now I do it once a week.

Regards Mike
  6. Mower For Less

Mower For Less Senior Member

Check into how many pricing levels there are. For my lawn customers for example, I enter lawn service @ a base price of $1. Then each customer has a price level set up to mark it up x% on the invoice. When I do their invoices, I just pull up lawn service, and the appropriate price is applied to that customer. Saves from having to manually enter prices for each invoice. If you have prices that are different for each customer, you will want to make sure you have alot of price levels to cover each customer. Will make your invoicing even faster.

7. sir spaniourd

sir spaniourd Senior Member

i just bought QB2005 and i almost passed out when I saw the information book that came with the program. it is kind of overwelming at the beginning but i am pretty sure I'll learn how to use it in a couple of weeks. I spent a couple of hours this morning just to enter information for a couple of customers. but it came out pretty good. I am using just the basic stuff. I think i'll need o a lot of :drinkup: :drinkup: and some :sleeping:
  8. Hawkc01

Hawkc01 Member

I have extensive experience with most versions of QB. If you are not going to be doing ANY type of payroll feature, then the basic package should work great. Also the same with inventory control features, if you dont need them, basic will work great. In any event QB will work great for companies with less than 50 employees and moderate to little inventory. I use it and I like it very much. I say go for it and set up two separate company files. One to play and practice and the other for the real deal. When you are comfortable, delete the practice file.

Tip: If you dont want the IRS to see something...DO NOT ENTER IT EVER INTO QB. If you do, you can delete the item from everywhere...EXCEPT...from the Ledger. Good Luck.
  9. DJL

DJL Senior Member

For those that have bought quickbooks and are trying to understand...

I bought the book "Quickbooks 2003 The Official Guide" and love it. It helps with everyday questions and is a great reference/step by step guide with examples. I'm sure they have it for 2004/2005 now but in my opinion this book was worth every penny. If memory serves me correctly it was around 40 bucks.