1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

quick wiring question...

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by pwrjnky, Nov 18, 2009.

1. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I'm trying to figure how much wire I'll need to get to my strobes on a regular cab short bed. Comes in 15 and 20 ft lengths. One option is running out the firewall under the dash along with the fronts and run to the rear lights......Other option, and this is where my question lies. Is there a place in the rear to feed the wires out of? That would be easier and I'd need the shorter cable.

2. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

Where are you mounting the power supply for the strobes? That's the big question... What type of truck and can you get a pic of it posted and I'm sure that we can go from there!

3. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

It's a 2003 chevy silverado short bed. I'm thinking of mounting the power supply under the front drivers seat. That will be an easy straight shot to run the power and ground to the battery. Front strobe cables will go out the firewall. Possibly the rears too if there's no rear cab holes. My thinking is tio get at least one 20 foot cable for the passenger rear since it will have to cut over to that side of the truck. Would be much easier for the rear if there was an access hole with a grommet that runs out.

[​IMG]

4. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I guess I could drill a hole and add a grommet in the rear of the cab?? That would make the rears a breeze!!

5. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

Yes there is. Power should be run directly out the firewall to the fuse box under the hood were there is accessory power aka SEO. There is extra "ports" with rubber grommets to get it out there.

As far running the leads out the back from your switch panel to your rear strobe heads, there is a vent looking box just behind your drivers seat. You'll need to remove your corner trim panel, to access it, as well as your seat I believe (not sure if there is enough room on a regular cab without removing it). It's rather simple anyway.

I ran mine just under the lip of the dash over to the kick panel, then down under the rocker panel / sill plate to the rear corner where the box is.

This has already been covered here on other threads, with good pics, & descriptions. Do a search to see if you can find it, if not I will check back when I have a bit more time. I would go with 20's, you can always shorten, but you can never stretch it.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  6. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

the kit I'm looking at has me run a power and ground, directly to the battery with a fuse in-between. then the power switch has a power and ground and I can run that power to an accessory in my fuse panel in the truck on the side of the dash. I just went and looked and I now see that panel you were talking about. I'll pull the back panel and carpet back and see if I can get a better look, but that would be ideal!

7. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

put the power supply in the middle of the seats behind you. Run the positive and negative directly off the battery so you have a good ground. There are two knockouts in the rear corner of your cab that works great for all your lighting needs. I have 5 wires running out each of them with the plastic weave around them. 15 ft will be plenty to run them to the back of the truck if you put the suply where I suggested. It stays clean and dry there even if you have the windows open. I used 15 wire to run the the lights to the rear in my regular cab long bed chevy. Good luck. Make sur eyou silicone all the connections and wrap them in electrical,

8. Deco

Deco Senior Member

I got the longest , then wire tied the excess in a loop behind the cab . You can trim them for a more custom clean look . .

9. RepoMan207

from Maine

There is fused power studs already under here that are easy to get to,

Copy of 102_1320.png

This is port is on my 02, I have been told there on the later models as well...

2.jpg

1.jpg

Copy of 102_1320.png

1.jpg

2.jpg

10. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I figured 15 ft would be plenty if I could go out the back. I just went out and checked and it looks like I can get to that vent pretty easily and run the wires out of that. Install should be a breeze. Only part that seems bad is drilling the holes in my lights. Thanks guys. I think I'm getting ready to place my order.

11. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

Thanks for the pics. I saw that grommet and that's where I was planning on running my power and ground and one of my strobe cables. I'm hoping theres one on the other side too so I can run the passenger side cable. If not....I'll try to run all out that one hole.

12. RepoMan207

from Maine

keep in mind you need extra length for routing.....For $25 you can get the 20' lengths.

13. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

the kit comes with 15 ft lengths, but can be upgraded to 20's for $1 each

14. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

to simplify things even more.....I don't think I need to go out the firewall at all. If I'm mounting the box back there anyways. I can run all the wires out that vent and up into the engine compt that way, along with the rears. Only wires that need to go up to the dash are the switches!! That would be really easy....

15. RepoMan207

from Maine

The power goes to the switch box & then to the module... Do what you want, but simple now, does not make for simple later when you have an issue. Its how the pros install there stuff. Good luck.

16. XtremeV8

XtremeV8 Junior Member

This is how I'm doing my install. I've never ran the power supply off the battery, just fused it off inside the cab.

Drilling your headlights the the fun part. I've got a 99 Silverado which I'm still debating on strobe placement. Measure 3 times, drill once.

17. Pirsch

Pirsch Senior Member

I thought it was Measure Once and Drill 3 times! :laughing:

18. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I don't mind wiring to the battery. Since I'll be back at the vent anyways....seems alot easier to go that way with all of it instead of trying to cram a power, ground, and 2 strobe leads all through a tiny hole that already has wires going thru it. I'll just wire loom it and tuck it up real nice under the cab and up into the engine compt:nod:.

19. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

only part that concerns me now is the drilling of the lights......I know where I want them to go, it's just the drilling.:dizzy:

20. XtremeV8

XtremeV8 Junior Member

:salute:

That's one part I forgot to comment on.