1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

quick wiring question

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by yamaguy, Nov 18, 2007.

1. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

I finally have my plow all installed and have a quick about the power lead in the cab. Boss says to wire it to a power source that is only energized when the ignition is on, but I have an extra fuse block that I run all of my work lights and transfer pump. It is always energized and I would like to get the power there. Does Boss just say to use a switched power source to keep people from messing with plow when the truck is not running, or will it constantly pull a slight amount of current from the battery draining it? I believe it is the former, but want your guys input. Thanks, Dale

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

I believe it is the former too.
    Just rember to turn it off.

3. nobletousha13

nobletousha13 Senior Member
    from VA

its the former

the number one relay of the relay pack will pull about 1-3 amps continually.

4. jryden145

jryden145 Member

If you shut the controller switch off it will be fine.

J

5. nobletousha13

from VA

no

no it will not matter if you turn the controller off. It provides power for the controller. :help:

6. nobletousha13

from VA

actually

if you have good batteries and your not worried about the cold taking power then let the relay have a small amp draw. just make sure its a daily driver and that you get to charge it. My 2cents install it correctly you never know when that could be a problem later; like fire and burn the whole damnnn truck. I would correctly install your other access. too, I wouldn't want a fire from the that stuff either.

7. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

No with the Diesel I want to save all the juice I can for starting in the morning. I will just tap into a switched source for the plow. I like to be able to run my work lights without having the key on plus I have 8 gauge wire straight from the Battery for the fuse block. Thanks

8. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

what?lol.:rolleyes:

If you forget to turn off the plow the power draw is that of the light on the switch..
    no realys are energized.

If you turn it off, their will be no power used.
    Your just fine getting power from any point you see fit for the controller
    Like your aux block..

9. nobletousha13

from VA

know what?

snofarmer. I didn't appreciate the LOL. go educate yourself on the way the Boss SH2 energizes its relays.:help:

10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The controller when moved sends low voltage to the relay which then controls the load
    There is no other draw than the light unless a relay is energized by moving the controller.
    If he turns the controller off there is NO power draw..

lol...;)

Having it hooked up to a keyed switch like the igenitonswitch is nothing more than a safety or a idiot switch.

It does not matter if the power source is controlled or not, there is no power draw with the controller turned off.
    Minimal with it on ,your radio proudly draws more with the key off than the controler will if he leaves it on..

Last edited: Nov 19, 2007
  11. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

If you connect it so it is always on and drop the blade as you should when leaving the truck and don't take it out of float it will have enough of a draw to cause a problem. Also if a child is left in a truck even with the keys removed someone could get hurt.
    Is there a reason you want to be able to run the plow with the key off, or is just for the convenience of hooking it up to the source you already have?

Dwan

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

noble is right on the money.. the #1 relay will be energized because the power wire that feeds the controller goes to the relay FIRST and then the relay sends the power to the controller..(the controller is wired AFTER the relay, not before). Hence if you connect that power wire to a constant hot, the wire will energize the relay all the time.

Correctly wired as Boss intended, the wire and relay would be dead until you turned the ignition on..which would then activate the relay. And then the relay would send power to the switch on the controller so it then had power when you turned the controller switch on..

13. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Here's a section of the relay diagram on the SH2's showing the #1 relay.... if you follow the red/black wire that's supposed to be wired to a keyed ignition source, you can see that the relay would be engergized any time the red/black wire had power.....

New Picture (2).jpg

14. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Still, the power draw is next to nothing.
    Just becuse there is power going to a relay does not meam there is a load.
    It will not drain the batt.
    The load is not applied to the relay until the controller is turned on.
    Even then you could leave the controller on for days with out much of a power drain.

15. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You are correct,
    That's why I said it is more of a safety.
    I also said he needs to turn the controller off.

he can leave it in float if he turns off the controller.
    The relay and coil will no longer be energized.

I think he just wants to add his equipment to his aux power block.

Is it the safest or best way?
    Maybe not.
    But it can be done.

16. yamaguy

yamaguy Senior Member

Thanks guys I think I will just tap into a keyed source. I have the fuse block there so I don''t have inline fuses all over the place ya know. One won't kill me I guess.

17. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

The relays are not energized.
    Just because the hot lead is hooked up.
    The circuit needs to be completed.
    A switch needs to be thrown to complete the circuit, grounding the relay. Thus energizing the coil resulting in the load side to complete the circuit.

It would be no different than wiring up some aux lighting, light bar etc etc.
    Where you could turn them on with out turning on the ignition.
    The relays would have a hot lead running to them too
    (unswitched by the ignition, being hot all of the time)
    And they are not energized until you throw the switch, truing on the lights and like the lights the plow will not draw and voltage unless you turn them/it on.

I fail to hear about all of the burning trucks:yow!:......:D
    Just use the proper fuse for the load & wire.

lol....;)

18. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

That's the thing I think your not clear on SF, the red/black wire isn't the "hot lead", it's the trip lead that trips the relay when you turn the key on..in order to power the harness.

Absolutely, and again, that's what the red/black wire does..but it trips the relay with 12V in this application, not ground.

I 100% agree with you though that it is mainly a safety related issue as far as not being able to operate the plow unless the ignition is on...

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Thanks for explaining it to me..B&B.......
    I got Edujamakated..:nod:

I may have been born late at night, but
    it wasn't last night....

But i still do not see the fire hazard?
    What would be more of a load?

If it is energized and sitting in the drive over night
    or
    plowing with it all day or night?

it" a moot point??

But when has that stoped us?:waving:

20. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And that's all I was trying to do SF...glad you see that..:)

Well, a relay will get warm and use power any time it's tripped.. I don't look at it as a major fire hazard but if it doesn't need to be hot all the time, why would you want it to be? The longer the relay is energized, the shorter it's life is gonna be. So why take life off it when it's not necessary if it's something you need to depend on to operate the plow? Sure, if it dies you can pop a new one in in 2 minutes..but if you can help it why wouldn't you?

Would you intentionally leave the switch on on the controller in a truck if you knew it wasn't gonna be used for an extended length of time? If so, I don't see why...

Do you remember the recall Ford did on their light duty truck's due to the cruise control brake pressure switch catching fire and burning trucks to the ground while they were parked overnight? That very switch was powered all the time... and totally unnecessarily I might add.:nod:
    10-4 on that one SF :D