1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Quick tips for the new guy?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by dsnowdude, Nov 4, 2004.

1. dsnowdude

dsnowdude Junior Member

Hey Gents,
    You guys have been a great help. I was wondering if anyone might have some quick tips for someone who has never plowed before. Anything you know now that you wished you would have known your first year of plowing?
    I am running an 04 Dodge 1 ton dually quad cab with the cummins. My plow is a straight blade 8'6" Blizzard.

2. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

I'd say do what I did and read all you can here!

Or to save you a little time I'll share the main points I've learned here from these people.

Numero uno seems to be get and carry proper commercial insurance or you're leaving yourself wide open to being sued.

Next is proper maintenance of vehicles and equipment which includes good driving habits that don't strain your equipment more than the storm is. Little things like carrying tools and a few spare parts with you, like an extra trip spring and hydraulic hose, can bail you out in a pinch. How old's your battery? Any cracks in that serpentine belt? Change your tranny fluid and filter before the season and maybe once during if you're using it alot.

Another thing, and I took this advice myself, is don't bite off more than you can chew first season. I have a contract for 4 driveways and that's what I'm going to focus on. Sure, I'll do what flag-downs I can too, but I want to see if I can provide reliable and complete service to my first contract and get an idea of just how much time it takes up, and then look at my profit/loss margin in order to decide to take on additional work and if so how much.

One guy mentioned getting a good look at where you'll be plowing before it snows, marking boundaries/edges and noting hazards. Makes sense to me!

See and be seen, get an orange strobe or two. The more you're lit up, the less chance some moron will drive over and get in your way.

I also carry some heavy rigging straps and shackles, so I can help out another guy plowing if he gets stuck, along with jumper cables, flares, a first aid kit and a fire extinguisher. A spare pair of dry boots and clothes, some food and a thermos of piping hot coffee rounds out my kit.

That's all I can think of, but I know if I forgot anything, the thread will be added to. Good luck brother! :waving:

3. dsnowdude

dsnowdude Junior Member

Thanks, that's great!

4. Stark_Enterprises

Stark_Enterprises Senior Member

Well Said John! I second your statements! Only my first year i took on 20 acounts lol :drinkup:

5. plowed

plowed Senior Member

You'll need to watch your rear end, with only and 8'6" blade, any corners you make while plowing will have your wheels into the windrows.

6. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

If this was 20 years ago and I was your age I probably would have too.

But with 3 kids and another full time job, I just don't have the time!

Here's to ya! :drinkup: